Intestine Blockage

KerryF.
on 11/15/15 4:08 am - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

Sorry didn't mean to say I wasn't going to eat natural fibers and healthy food I meant I'm stopping the fiber chewables and this has been the best week I've had in 2 years  no cramps. I have a prescription from my GP for stool softeners and I'm eating EVOO and nuts and I drink lots and lots and I get 20,000 steps a day so those things are not an issue for me. 

My misconception of needing to take the fiber chewables has been a problem I think.

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

MickeyDee
on 11/16/15 6:27 pm

Well, it seems to be the key to your discomfort!  Yeah, it is an entirely new world of learning about ourselves.  I, myself, find that about an hour after having a cup of strong coffee, I have no problems moving my bowels.  Others need more help.  I've encountered times when Miralax was the only thing that kept me moving.

So just keep on learning!  Hope your problem is resolved without any major surgery.         

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/16/15 11:49 am

BTW: so you know - I do get enough fiber.. but I don't use supplements. When I am constipated - adding fiber to already "stuck on stuck" things - is not a good idea for me - or IMO - for anyone else... 

I do eat food with fiber - like nuts and some veggies .. and I do have an issue if I do too much of it...

the general response to when people get constipated is to "increase the fiber", when IMO - that may cause more problem than help. First the person need to get things moving - then slowly add foods (not supplements) with fiber to maintain a good flow.. . 

I developed IBS-D most likely due to my RNY - hernias. losing GB, PPI, etc etc... and taking too much fiber with all of that... I learn the hard way that too much fiber when one is already constipated can lead to many problems. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

peachpie
on 11/9/15 5:53 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I was just in the ER last night investigating the cause of an ongoing stomach pain. (My results were all normal). You know what you norm is, and it sounds like it not what you've been experiencing. Who told you to contact a surgeon? Why can they order tests etc in the meantime?

I went to the ER so tests (CT scan/blood work) could be done w/o having to jockey for an appointments /referrals to eventually get the same tests I knew the ER would run. My ER copay is $200 but the piece of mind is priceless. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

rocky513
on 11/9/15 6:14 am - WI

The ER is not a good place to go for diagnostics.  Their job is to stabilize you until you can see your regular doctor.  They are not there to diagnose your issues.  They don't know your history and don't have the time to read through it.  It is better to see your regular PCP for care.

I've had three bowel obstructions.  The first one that was necrotic and almost killed me.  The ER ran their tests, did x-rays, and sent me home.  They told me I was constipated and take a laxative.  Several hours after I got home, the pain was unbearable and I went back.  They admitted me "for observation".  The tests never showed an obstruction.  Finally a surgeon was called and they went in to see what was going on.  My necrotic, black, dead, bowel burst in his hands as he was taking it out.  If they had waited much longer, I would be dead.  I was in ICU for seven days with a severe infection.  

With the second bowel obstruction, I knew the pain immediately.  I went to the ER,(it was a Sunday evening) and the same thing happened.  The tests showed no obstruction.  I refused to leave without seeing a surgeon.  When I talked to the surgeon ( the same one who saved my life last time) he made the call to go in based on my last experience.  My bowel was twisted up in some old adhesions, but not necrotic.

The same thing with the third obstruction... the ER wanted to send me home, claiming I was just constipated.  My surgeon had retired and the new surgeon was reluctant to admit me and do a surgery.  They finally admitted me and made me wait for 12 HOURS in agony before she decided to do the surgery.

Moral of the story...severe pain is NEVER normal.  You have to be your own health care advocate and INSIST on being taken seriously.  Don't let them tell you there is nothing wrong when you know there is.  The ER is not a diagnostic place... it's a triage place.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

peachpie
on 11/9/15 6:31 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I went to the ER at the advice of my surgeon, who I'd called prior to going. The surgeon was the one who outlined the tests the ER would likely perform based on my history/symptoms.  I went to the same hospital  where my surgeon did the surgery/practices. 

MY PCP had had nothing to do with my WLS and that''s the LAST person I'd go to for advice/direction with a problem possibly relating to my surgery. 

What I did worked for me in my situation. I'm sorry the ER didn't take your concerns seriously. 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/9/15 6:53 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

In your case your surgeon went ahead & called for the proper tests for you, but for anyone else who comes in off the street, they're not gonna have that prior knowledge & will do what Rocky said which is stabilize you to go home. Your prior post seemed to indicate that people can go in & get the proper tests & get that "peace of mind", that's not always the case, sadly enough.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

peachpie
on 11/10/15 6:42 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

To my knowledge the surgeon did not call the ER. When I spoke to them as a follow-up they had asked me what the ER had done. I would easily expect that with my history (which I explained to them, and they could verify since I was have used the same hospital for everything) they would do what they did-- but do understand that not every situation works out that ideally. 

My surgeon is not convinced that the tests being negative means all is fine though. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/17/15 3:27 am

Your surgeon speaks from experience. I had 3 surgeries for hernia and multiple tests before surgeries did not show one wrong thing. Many CT scans. 

My friend is in a lot of pain - one year of testing show nothing, and she was told it is mental... She went to my doc who ordered MRI.  MRI showed hernia and twisted gut... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Keldriv
on 11/9/15 8:59 pm - Fair Play, SC

What were your syntoms? I am too far out for it to have anything to do with my rny. The doc I seen said the obstruction was only a patial since I can pass has and light loose stool in beginning. He said the dry heves, nause, and lack of desire to eat as well as the weight loss is not a good sign. When this irrationally happened I was in emence pain. The pain is better but the belly is still sensitive and the nausea is still there.

Married Mother of 3 Likeing the New Me!!
Highest Weight 384, Pre-surgery weight 313, Current Weight @144, Goal Weight 150, Ideal Weight
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
"Be not anxious for what you shall eat, or what you shall drink ... or what you shall wear ... Isn't life more than food? ... and the body more than clothing?"~ Luke 12:22; 29
Kelly