Doctor has recommended surgery to help PCOS

SarahJ77
on 11/12/15 7:45 pm - Canada

So I have been overweight since I was about 13 years old, I have PCOS and as soon as I hit 13 my weight ballooned. Well I went to my doctor today, I wanted to ask for a medication to help control the PCOS, however she is now suggesting bariatric surgery. 

I've thought about it before, in fact a friend of mine has had it and had amazing results. I'm just a little scared because I know its a huge life changer and so I guess I'm just looking for a little advice, especially from anyone who has PCOS to know what results you've had. Anything would be helpful.

NYMom222
on 11/12/15 10:18 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I believe I had PCOS but 'back in the day' that wasn't even a diagnosis they considered. I can't really answer your question about surgery results specific to PCOS. I will say, not living with Obesity is a gift. Having hope for the first time that I won't regain the weight. It is a life changer in the best of ways. I realize I will always be someone who has to struggle with my weight, but I would rather be struggling at a normal weight than struggle morbidly obese with all the problems associated with it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/12/15 10:21 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Sarah,

There is a forum for PCOS, if you haven't posted there already, you may get responses there also.  Go to the top of the page, click on forums, it over towards the right on the drop down menu.

Sharon

April Parker
on 11/12/15 11:09 pm - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

I have PCOS too, but I haven't had surgery yet. I'm also looking forward to seeing how my weight loss affects my PCOS. An online friend of mine had bariatric surgery awhile back, and she says her physical symptoms like irregular periods, painful cramps, and things like that are in the past. But I have no hopes for it curing my facial hair. I will continue to shave my face until I save up for electrolysis I guess. Sigh...

Good luck to you, and welcome! :)

SkinnyScientist
on 11/13/15 4:04 am

HI!  I got PCOS and can speak to this.

I was diagnosed with PCOS pretty late. I had periods regularily, but my FSH:LH ratio is off. Other symptoms included elevated DHT, excess facial and body hair, being overweight and brown patches of skin in the indigrenous (spelling?) folds.

So previously my endo had me on metformin to keep me insulin sensitive.

I was taken off of it shortly before surgery.

I lost weight successfully down to a normal size following surgery with the aid of exercise and a low carb/low GI diet.

At some point my endo congratulated me for beating PCOS!

I spent a lot of money to get the excess hair lazered off (i.e. thousands).

Then I started to get the acne again and new hormonally sensitive hair started to grow.

Sure enough, my FSH:LH ratio is off...AGAIN!

So I am back on Metformin and plucking those errant hairs.

So in summary, I still got PCOS but I am skinnier..healthier...and able to run a half marathon.

Speaking with others on this board, RNY can not and does not cure PCOS.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

hollykim
on 11/13/15 8:06 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 13, 2015 at 12:04 PM Pacific Time, SkinnyScientist wrote:

I was diagnosed with PCOS pretty late. I had periods regularily, but my FSH:LH ratio is off. Other symptoms included elevated DHT, excess facial and body hair, being overweight and brown patches of skin in the indigrenous (spelling?) folds.

I lost weight successfully down to a normal size following surgery with the aid of exercise and a low carb/low GI diet.

Then I started to get the acne again and new hormonally sensitive hair started to grow.

So in summary, I still got PCOS but I am skinnier..healthier...and able to run a half marathon.

"rny can not and does not cure PCOS". That is a very presumptuous and refocus ours statement. Just because it didn't cure YOUT PCOS doesn't mean it hasn't cured others.

You can't POSSIBLY know the medical histories of everyone in the world who have had RNY and PCOS.

WereYorkie
on 11/13/15 10:14 am
VSG on 05/11/15
On November 13, 2015 at 4:06 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:

"rny can not and does not cure PCOS". That is a very presumptuous and refocus ours statement. Just because it didn't cure YOUT PCOS doesn't mean it hasn't cured others.

You can't POSSIBLY know the medical histories of everyone in the world who have had RNY and PCOS.

My surgeon said that PCOS can't be cured at the moment but the symptoms can be alleviated by WLS.

Her statement isn't presumptuous... it's simply fact. Our ovaries will continue to work their magic and then some. Okay, not "then some". More like overtime!  

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

hollykim
on 11/13/15 12:44 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 13, 2015 at 6:14 PM Pacific Time, WereYorkie wrote:
On November 13, 2015 at 4:06 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:

My surgeon said that PCOS can't be cured at the moment but the symptoms can be alleviated by WLS.

Her statement isn't presumptuous... it's simply fact. Our ovaries will continue to work their magic and then some. Okay, not "then some". More like overtime!  

I stand corrected on terminology. "Cure" and remission are two different things. Other ppl with PCOS may stay in remission though that poster didnt

Zee Starrlite
on 11/13/15 11:20 am

OMG, I think I spent a large portion of my evening looking into laser hair removal and PCOS.  I didn't get the answer I needed but right here, so quick I get it from you.

Thanks!  And I hope your PCOS goes into remission once more and for good.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

radze09
on 11/13/15 10:14 am
RNY on 06/08/15

I was told by the surgeon that there isn't a cure for pcos. Surgery can help some of the symptoms but not cure it. I have had pcos for about 10 years and it's a pain in the butt, but like someone else said its way better to be healthier in all other aspects then not healthy and dealing with pcos! Good luck!