The Honeymoon phase is nearing an end - #1

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/11/15 4:43 am, edited 11/11/15 4:58 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Hi,

I am 10 and half months post-op, and I think my honeymoon phase is coming to an end.   And my maintaining weight-loss phase  will begin, sooner or later.  I am down 106 pounds from surgery and 130 from my high!!!   I am 11 pounds under my 'dream weight' (165 - my lowest high school weight from over 40 years ago).  That being said, I would be happy to reduce my goal weight and maintain at another 5-10 pounds less than I am now (at 145-149).  That range feels like a healthy weight and my knees will appreciate the lower weight.

So, I am concentrating on mastering any skills that I need.  Thanks to you long-timers who have posted on long-term success.  

I will post periodically when I find something that is helpful or that I think will be a good conversation starter.  I am not getting paid for anything, and I will say if I know the person.

Post #1 - I found a video that was made by one of the doctor's that operated on me. She oversaw my post-op time in the hospital and I saw her on an 'emergency' basis when my stomach was not happy with a new brand of protein shake, about week after surgery. She suggested that I wait an hour before/after eating and drinking, which worked for me.  So, here is her take on maintaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pxElXEFssI    This is only a minute long.  A few good reminders.

For me, and planning a menu ahead of time are important for me to start.      And focus on waiting before/after liquids.  

So, I am off to check people's posts on their menus.  This food planning is taking me some time to figure out, but I am a creature of habit and once I figure out a 1 or 2 weeks of meal plans, I will be fine.  It's more complicated than just getting in 60-80 gms of protein. It took me awhile to figure out that I needed a plan to take my vitamins and water  (thyroid and lots of water before BF, multis with BF, calciums with lunch and dinner.  I am not on iron)   

If anyone is experiencing a similar phases-change or has more tips, please join me on this next segment - reply, post, etc. 

PS - Before I could do a meal plan, I saw this OH video from a past OH Conference, about how much protein you really need long term. (It also explains why some longer timers report having more than 60-80 gms of protein).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2a08Mq6Nt8

(There might be a way to link to this from the OH website, but I don't know how)

Here's what she says:  Gms of protein per day = Goal wt in pounds divided by 2.2 times 1.25

145/2.2*1.25=82 gms of protein per day. Call it 85 gms for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pxElXEFssI

Sharon

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/15 5:41 am

Congratulations on your weight loss success. I wish you well with figuring out maintenance. I will look forward to your updates , ideas and suggestions. Great info on the amount of protein needed. Thanks

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/11/15 6:30 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Thanks.  I never heard of that formula before, and that video just popped up.  Another great thing from  OH.

Sharon

Shel25
on 11/11/15 8:50 am

Thanks for the info! I am into to a healthy BMI but not quite ready for maintenance. I am not exactly sure how I will know I am done but I know I am not there yet.

But, I am always on the lookout for what is coming up next and have been thinking about what sustainable maintenance will look like for me.

Good luck in your new phase!

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/11/15 8:53 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

If you are (easily) losing more than 5 pounds a month, I don't think you are ready for maintenance yet.  Ride that honeymoon train as long as you can!!

Sharon

White Dove
on 11/11/15 10:55 am - Warren, OH

The honeymoon period actually last for two years or longer.  What happens now after the weight loss is a period where the weight stays off effortlessly.

For me, it was at 30 months that I suddenly saw the scale go up a pound a week.  After I had gained back fourteen pounds I started really trying to stop gaining.  I joined Weigh****chers, tried different diets, added more exercise.  The gain stopped but it took years to actually get back down to what I thought was going to be my maintenance weight.

When doing your maintenance I would advise also keeping a close eye on the scale.  I had stopped weighing at home and only weighed at the doctors office.  When I went back to daily weighing the scale stopped going up.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/11/15 12:48 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Thanks, I've always weighed weekly and I will keep close watch on the scale.

Sharon

Ladytazz
on 11/11/15 7:42 pm

I am 5 years post op and I'm still trying to figure out maintenance.  It doesn't come naturally or easy for me to know how to eat to stay a normal size.  I've never done it before and I am still in ah that I have done it this long.

The only things I know to do is to plan ahead, avoid sugar and gluten, don't drink with meals or 30 minutes after and protein first.  Everything else is fluid, the way I eat today is different then how I ate a year ago.  My taste in food changes.  I could eat something everyday for a year and stock up on it and then not want it at all. 

Maybe someday I won't have to think about it but for now it's a daily thing to be mindful of what I eat and not grab something spontaneously.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/12/15 10:30 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Thanks for your thoughts - I can live with what you do.  I haven't really had to think much,  I just cook every once in awhile, freeze it, pull something out of the freezer.  Now I'm feeling some hunger, so I am thinking I made need to plan a healthy snack, although I (thankfully) drink and the hunger goes away.  I went away on vacation last week and did not do particularly well.  It was really the first time that I think that I did not drink enough (urine was dark).  I'm back home and back to a normal routine, getting enough fluids, and hunger is subsciding.    

Sharon