Drinking Soda After WLS : Debunking the Myth

Grim_Traveller
on 11/10/15 5:42 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm glad the article debunks the myth that soda won't stretch your new stomach. But it's unfortunate it propagates the myth that caffeine is a diuretic. It isn't. There are a ton of studies that show caffeine is just not a diuretic.

There also is no evidence that consuming artificial sweeteners leads to craving real sweeteners. A lot of people believe it to be true, but believing it doesn't make it so. There is no scientific evidence making that connection.

It always amuses me the number of people that are ok with artificial sweeteners in other drinks, but add a little carbonation and call it diet soda, and it becomes evil.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/15 8:22 am - CA

This is a great article!!!

I know that our surgeons suggest and encourage us to not drink soda and I totally agree.  However, I am an addict of Diet Dr. Pepper ( I generally drink one 12 oz bottle a day over several hours)   During the last 14 years, I have worried that the soda would stretch my stoma out, but I can honestly say that I do not feel that this is the case at all.   When I have drank soda there are times that I have this very uncomfortable feeling in the middle of my chest that indicates I have gas trapped in the pouch.  If the pouch was stretching, I would feel that this would diminish over time, but it has not.  I think if anything, it has gotten more prominent.  

Again, I agree with the surgeons who do tell us not to drink soda as it is not the healthiest choice, but I do not feel that it has impacted my pouch size in anyway.    

Nik

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/15 9:21 am

I never understood the mass appeal of soda. I feel like its rotting my teeth, haven't you seen all the stuff Coke does to metal products? yuck

annabellarose77
on 11/10/15 10:54 am - Cottontown, TN
Revision on 01/12/18

I'm glad you posted this article. I quit soda before surgery, but used my soda stream to make carbonated water, and then I put sugar free Kool-Aid or Crystal Light in it. For me, it gave me the carbonation kick I craved without the sugar. I keep hearing that carbonation will stretch out your pouch so I haven't tried it since surgery. I have been craving the bubbles badly. Thanks again for posting this.

Andria Ragland

Joemac9408
on 11/10/15 7:41 pm - Staten Island, NY
RNY on 02/04/15 with

Like others I had a serious diet soda addiction before surgery, probably a minimum of 2 liters a day.  Diet cherry pepsi was my drink of choice.  I havent had one sip since starting my pre-op diet on 1/2/15 and dont want to start with that again.  It is nice to know that I could have another carbonated beverage if I choose and not worry about stretching my pouch.  

Surgery date: 2/4/15

Highest weight: 315. Pre-op diet weight: 289.  Surgery weight: 260.  Current weight: 138  Goal weight: 160