How do you cook for others after you have WLS?

pec21
on 11/7/15 6:17 pm
VSG on 12/02/15

I will be getting "sleeved" on Dec. 2nd. ?  I have always prepared meals for my husband and myself.  Since he is not changing his eating habits, I was wondering if I will find it challenging to prepare meals for him.  Will I feel tempted to eat the way I used to?  Will it not be an issue?  Can anyone offer me some suggestions or tell me what their experiences have been?  Thank you.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGVxuqk/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wGVxuqk/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

Maria27
on 11/7/15 6:59 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Honestly, I don't cook much anymore. Rotisserie chickens are my best friend. They are on sale every Monday. I also make hard-boiled eggs  and chicken jerky, which hubby can grab for breakfast and snacks. Hubby started bringing protein bars for lunches, and he buys canned soups and frozen foods like hot pockets and stuffed chicken patty things to make on nights I am eating leftovers. When all else fails, I make eggs (and toast for him) for dinner. He's an adult, and it's not my fault that he isn't willing to put more effort into cooking better food for himself. I have been getting him to make better choices like picking foods with more protein and not eating ramen noodles, but he still goes for convenience foods when I don't cook or get takeout. I work more than him, so he knows that he cannot expect me to be his personal chef. The one thing we both miss though is fresh vegetables. I got sick of throwing rotten vegetables in the garbage, so I have been hesitant to buy them. I think this will change once I get further from surgery and can eat more.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

chris_ruff
on 11/10/15 5:17 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

i'm a huge fan of frozen vegetables because they cook up fresh and crisp, and you can portion them very easily. i also found myself tossing fresh vegetables and was unhappy with the waste. frozen vegetables stack up pretty well nutritionally too. 

--Christina
Maria27
on 11/10/15 4:01 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

What frozen vegetables are you buying? The ones I've bought have always been mush and inedible. I would appreciate any tips you have.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/7/15 7:07 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I still cook for my son and husband.  I literally cook three meals a day -- bake all our bread, make my own butter and yogurt -- I am a good cook.  

When I was obese, I viewed cooking and eating as the same activity.  The purpose of being a great cook?  To eat all the wonderful foods I cooked, of course!

Now, I view cooking as a completely separate activity from eating.  Do I sometimes want to eat the food I cook them.  Yes.  Do I? No.  I tend to take some of the protein for myself or grill a quick piece of chicken breast if my family is eating something that I can't make work.  

That's what works for me.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Maria27
on 11/8/15 7:24 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I am impressed. I also used to cook and bake all sorts of amazing things so that I could eat them. But unlike you I don't think I ever learn to separate the two activities. My career is really the reason though. My time has become more valuable.

Bonroxie19
on 11/7/15 7:26 pm

I cook all the time now.  Sunday is my experiment day.  My family has been great trying all the new things i cook.  i love egg face and also pinterest.  I do not find the temptations that i used to have.  it is amazing once you start eating clean you crave it.

RNY the best thing i ever did for myself.

good luck and see you on the losers bench.

Bonnie RNY 2/11/15 by Dr. Takahaski

5'3" SW 230 pounds, GW per Dr. Takahaski 150 pounds, CW 132 pounds (10/1/17)

BMI 19% Bod Pod test 1/29/17 13.1 mile half marathon, 1 hour 59 mins (8/21/2017)

stacy T.
on 11/7/15 7:37 pm - San Francisco, CA

Trust me, if you cook for yourself and make enough for him he will change his eating habit. LOL, he wont be able to avoid it.

I didn't cook a ton in the liquid stage but as soon as I was to soft food I was cooking things I could blend or grind or whatever for myself. 15 years later I cook everything, but we have all been on a pretty high protein low carb diet all these years.

Our daughter had a sleeve this week and for weeks preop we have been having things that could be blended for her, and we are eating soup tonight where she could have the broth and we are having the solid bits too. Admittedly we had steak and broccoli last night and I made her chicken broth, but it doesn't have to either or. It can be and.

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/7/15 7:54 pm

I cook all the time for me and my BF. There are proteins, veggies and starches if he wants them I I feel I making them for him. Sometimes I just cook for him even if I don't want to eat. We eat out ...and if he wants pizza - we over that Or make one from frozen. 

But I don't cook low fat food. I cook low carbs food. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Neesie57
on 11/7/15 8:28 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

One of the best things that every happened to me was my husband taking cooking classes.  He LOVES to cook now, and does 95% of our evening meals.  It's amazing how he can cook such low carb, super tasty food for the both of us.  He has lost almost 20 pounds since I had my surgery, and we eat very well.  

If you really want to you can adapt lost of recipes to be low or lower carb, and the recipe section with help you to do that.  My new favorite is Spaghetti Squash Casserole.  It amazing, low carb and low calorie.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!