What Would You Do?

Chilipepper
on 11/5/15 7:18 am

You can't dump on bread but it can make you feel yucky 

Dumping is caused by sugar. 

I get the craving for bread but it know those cravings will turn into cravings for other carbs.  I avoid breads and pastas. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/15 8:29 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Bread is my biggest single weakness. Before surgery, I just made a "hard line" rule that I won't eat it again until I reach goal, and then will never eat it in isolation (I just like knowing I might be able to have a sandwich again someday). For me, the only way to stick to that is to tell myself "I don't eat bread" (not "I can't eat bread," which makes me want to rebel), and to count how long it's been since I last had it. 6.5 months so far...I'm just not willing to break that streak!

I thought about trying to find a substitute for it like I did with other things (e.g., mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes), but I haven't found anything close enough to be worth it.

MsBatt
on 11/7/15 5:46 pm

I'm the kind of person who doesn't do well with being told I can't have something---just makes we want it that much more. I have no forbidden foods. But I'm like Grimm---bread is just something to sop up the juice from my meat. (*grin*)

Keeks911
on 11/11/15 7:07 am, edited 11/10/15 11:08 pm - SALEM, OR

I, personally, would have a small piece, buttered and toasted. Since I know, for myself, that the struggle is mostly mental, I will do better if I allow myself my cravings. It's all about the portion post op. If you eat half a loaf, obviously you failed yourself. But if you allow yourself half an english muffin, and you are able to get the rest of what you need from your diet that day, then I would do it.

You said you "would do anything". Better to plan on exactly what you will allow yourself than to deny your mind until you "break" and go postal on a loaf of bread. 

I know everyone is going to be different and the cir****tances that lead to WLS in the first place is completely personal. But for me, if I crave something and don't allow myself a little, I will obsess until I blow it. I have been lucky though and there isn't anything I haven't been able to eat. I am 5 months post op with a sleeve. I am just very careful and listen to my stomach. 

It's a struggle to find the right balance. Congrats on 8yrs post op!!