Need an explanation...

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/15 7:27 pm - Canada

So today was my birthday and my boyfriend took me out for supper. I love steak and mushrooms so we went to a local steak house. I was prepared to indulge a bit since I have been very good for the 8 months since my surgery. I have not had any bread so we started with garlic bread with cheese. It arrived and we cut it into slices. (It was the best freaking garlic bread I have ever tasted. There was literally a pool of garlicky, buttery, cheesy salted liquid on the skillet to wipe your hunk of bread in.) Oooops, sorry, back to the story... I had ONE piece. I could not eat anything else! I had to pack up my filet mignon to bring home. 

So the question is this...Why can I eat a small bag of popcorn and not ever feel full or uncomfortable but one piece of garlic bread stuffs me?

Not that I have eaten a load of popcorn but if I didn't exercise control I know I could...

I will take my steak for lunch tomorrow so that's a good thing.

Just curious. Thanks Chris

Ladytazz
on 11/6/15 7:41 pm

Throw a bag of popcorn in a blender and turn it on and you will see why you can eat so much.  Same thing with crackers and other things.  Bread can fill you up because it is denser and tends to expand in your pouch.  Put a slice of bread in water and you will know what I mean.

Wow, not meaning to go all Mr. Science on you.  That is why it is recommended to eat dense protein first.  One, because you need the protein, and 2, because it will fill you up and leave little desire for the more carby things.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

stacy T.
on 11/6/15 8:34 pm - San Francisco, CA

Even easier; Look at how much space the popcorn kennels take. Now compare it to how much space the popped corn takes up. Take a piece of bread and squi**** Compare ; -)

My sister has eaten thru her sleeve after almost reaching goal. Popcorn can be evil.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/7/15 3:00 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I hope your sister does not give up.  Last week, I met a woman who had surgery 8 years ago, lost 170 pounds, gained it all back, and a year later (without surgery) lost it all again. And has kept it off for 2 years now. (during which time I have known her - sales person at local store, so acquainted with) I do not recommend doing this, but it may plant a seed for your sister.

Sharon

Grim_Traveller
on 11/7/15 6:21 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Bread was the very last thing I could eat without severe discomfort. My guess is it just swells up like a stopper. I can still eat more steak than I can bread.

Take a cup of popped popcorn. Add water. It will shrink to almost nothing. You could eat popcorn all day.

I usually get rid of the bun if I have a burger. Sometimes I'll have a bite or two of the whole thing before removing the bun. Sometimes I ditch the t bun, which is usually very bulky, and have just the bottom bun.

People say pasta fills them up like bread, but I haven't had pasta since surgery, so can't say.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

stacy T.
on 11/7/15 10:01 am - San Francisco, CA

I find cold cereal is the worst. One of the few things that I ever threw up. I still remember looking into the sink and mentally comparing the half a tea cup (what I used for a bowl in the early years) of cereal and milk I had consumed with the MUCH larger amount my tummy had rejected. Amazing how porous carbs expand!

crystal M.
on 11/7/15 11:50 am - Joliet, IL

With a Band bread just fills me up fast....really fast.  If I order a sandwich, I will take the top half off.  There is just no way I can eat a sandwich with all that bread.  Plus I would rather eat the middle (that's the best part).  If I have to I will eat it with a fork.

You experience is completely normal with all WLS 

Tracy D.
on 11/9/15 11:57 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Always, always save the bread for after you eat your protein.  Make it your "dessert" - that's what I do. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15