Weight gain

MelodyMay
on 10/30/15 3:07 pm
RNY on 03/01/16

This is the most frustrating experience I have ever had. I've gone back and forth with everything (my appointments, my insurance, my will power) I thought it had all finally come to an end...everything was going smoothly and due to being sick, I got a good jump start on my weight loss...only problem is that as soon as I was better, the weight jumped back on like it missed me....I didn't change my diet, I wasn't eating bad things or sneaking an extra bite..none the less 6 lbs magically appeared on me again..

I'm trying really hard not to be discouraged and I know this is a process and since I am pre-surgery my weight loss will take longer, but I still want to cry..or cuss.

Thanks for letting me vent a bit...time to look at before and afters for motivation...Have a Great Halloween!!

Melody

HW: 394 SW: 359 GW: 187

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/15 4:34 pm

Sorry your weight loss disappeared. That is very frustrating. Perhaps just another thing to confirm surgery is the best choice. After that there will be so little chance of that happening again. Glad you were able to vent..sometimes it's just what we need..

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/31/15 4:11 am, edited 10/31/15 12:59 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I can tell by your post that you are taking this pre=surgery diet seriously, and that is the best indication for your long your post=surgery success. You probably have figured out by now that you los****er, not fat. And that now that you are properly hydrated, you are healthier than when you were at a lower, but dehydrated, weight.

I'm sure that you're thinking, "Gee thanks, Lady, just what I want to know."

But I say this because in my mind the best reason for this pre-WLS diet, if there even is one, is that the healthier you go into surgery (any kind of surgery) the healthier you come out of it. The more mobile, the more flexible, the better your heart condition, the better your circulation, etc, the better and faster your recovery may be. That focus - That during this 6 months, you are not on a weight loss diet, but rather preparing for post-surgical SUCCESS may help get you through the ups and down. Because you know that whatever the fickle scale says that you are healthier by following a healthy diet than not.

I was such a pre-surgical diet failure that when my surgeon told me to lose weight before surgery. I wanted to tell him (OK, yell at him) WHY BOTHER IT WILL JUST COME BACK. Before I did, I remembered: YEAH THAT'S WHY I AM HAVING SURGERY!!!!!!!!!!

The promise of having the surgery helped me make good decisions during that period - a year ago and I had to make it through Thanksgiving and all the Holiday parties because my surgery was Dec 22, 2014.

During that period, my success was not on the just scale (not even primarily) but on those other health markers - blood pressure, return to resting heart rate. etc. Exercise is also important during this period. Wherever you are - barely mobile to marathon runner, take this time to get more fit, it will help you post WLS.

Hang in there. I know you will.

PS At times I cannot believe it - I've lost 107 pounds since surgery and 122 from my high. It was not fast, but 12-15 pounds a month adds up. It was worth it.

Sharon

White Dove
on 10/31/15 7:40 am - Warren, OH

I lost nothing in my six month pre-op. It just confirmed to me that I could not lose weight without the surgery. After the surgery the weight came off easily. I was one who was fortunate enough to have no stalls and no regain. At least not until year 3, when Bounceback caught up with me.

I was sick this summer and lost 10 pounds without trying or even thinking about it. I was hurt in a skydiving accident and not able to stand on the scale. When they weighed me at the hospital I was expecting gain, but the weight had fallen off.

After I recovered from disk compression surgery and was strong enough to stand on the scale, I watched the weight came back on in about a month.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TrulyPhoenix
on 10/31/15 2:25 pm - Calgary, Canada

The same thing happened to me in August when I was sick. I ended up gaining 9 lbs within a week of feeling better. It really just comes down to getting over dehydration and water retention from my body reacting to the carbs I don't normally eat (soda crackers, oatmeal, etc... easy to digest when getting over a stomach bug).

Even though I knew it was a superficial weight gain, it was still discouraging. I stuck with my diet though, and by the next week I'd lost those 9lbs plus another 2.

Your body just needs a bit of time to balance itself out, so I'd recommend putting the scale away for a few days :)

MelodyMay
on 11/1/15 3:31 pm
RNY on 03/01/16

Thank you all for your words of encouragement, its meant a lot. I put pressure on myself to try to lose 30 lbs by 1/4/16 (when I submit my info to the insurance company) and putting back on those few pounds really felt like a setback. I haven't gotten on the scale since and have decided to wait 2 weeks before I do again. As of 11/4/15 I am going back to a Atkins like diet and I really want to see a good # on that scale.

I need it.

Laura in Texas
on 11/13/15 3:04 am

Is this a surgeon or insurance requirement? If so and you are not there as the date gets closer, switch to shakes the last 2 weeks. Play the game and get this surgery scheduled!!

I was one of those who lost nothing during my six month supervised diet. Thankfully it was not part of my requirements.

Hang in there!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

MelodyMay
on 11/13/15 12:07 pm
RNY on 03/01/16

It isn't required by my Insurance or my surgeon. Their only requirement is that I don't gain. It really was something I wanted to do for myself. I thought I could really push myself and lose 10 lbs a month and hopefully make the surgery and recovery a bit easier on myself. What I have come to realize is that I could lose 10 lbs a month on my own I wouldn't be almost 400 lbs. It's harder than I thought it would be and I need to ease up on myself a bit. I set these goals when I am feeling good and kick myself later when I come back down to normal. I've also learned to not announce my goals because when I don't meet them, I beat myself up and don't want to see the disappointment in peoples faces when I don't do what I thought I could do. 

I really need to focus on conquering my Head Hunger, measuring my food and waiting to drink 30 min after a meal. Those are the things I am going to really have to deal with after surgery. The weight will come off after surgery if I deal with those issues.

harryroy46
on 11/12/15 11:25 pm - Shelton, CT

Hello everyone I'm newly register with this forum and I want to know is there any easy for weight reducing ? I want to loss my weight 2Kg in a month. Sorry if I posted wrong spot

MsBatt
on 11/13/15 1:01 am

A few questions. What is your current weight, and what would your ideal weight be? Do you have experience with dieting? Do you realize that 99.9% of the people who post here need to lose 100 pounds or more? (About 45 Kg.)

Not making light of you desire to lose 2Kg, just pointing out that your needs, if 5Kg is ALL you need to lose, are vastly different from most folks here.

The easiest way to lose 2Kg in a month is to cut out as many carbs as possible. Eat NO bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, or anything made from grain. Keep your total calories under 1200 a day, and drink at LEAST 2 liters of water every day.