50 lbs lost and STALL!???

Unbesleeveable
on 10/29/15 10:26 pm
VSG on 09/29/15 with

I am 1 month out from surgery and I am down a total of 50 lbs! But I have not lost anything since week 3! I wanted to ask people that have already lost a lot of weight what really accelerated your what loss during your journey?? Cardio? Lifting Weights? Your Diet? Increasing Protein? Inceasing water? Etc??? I was thinking about hiring a personal trainer. I'm really confused about what to do next! It's so disappointing to lose quickly then suddenly STOP! All feedback is greatly appreciated!

WereYorkie
on 10/29/15 10:53 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

Take a step back from the edge. Do. Not. Panic! A stall at week 3 is completely and utterly normal. You are only 1 month out and 50 pounds is fantastic. You are not going to lose weight every day.

There are those that will lose weight as though they are on a slide. There are those who lose weight as though they are walking down stairs. They plateau and then drop...plateau and drop. I happen to be the latter. It is still too early to tell how you will lose weight.

You are only a few weeks out of surgery. You should not be doing anything other than walking unless cleared by your surgeon. So just chill... it's okay. Keep doing what you are doing and stick with what your WLS doctor wants.

The weight will come off.

PS--Please realize that you didn't put on this weight overnight so don't expect to lose it in 2 months time. During your honeymoon period, you need to reprogram your mind and habits to create long term success. You can do this.

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

White Dove
on 10/30/15 5:08 am - Warren, OH

A personal trainer is an excellent idea, with one caveat. Do not take diet advice from them. They are not trained to understand our needs and will tell you to eat a lot more food than you should be eating.

I saw surgery as my new lease on life and spent my time and my money on a gym, trainer, classes, high quality vitamins and protein. I also used products to help my skin and hair. I never cooked or baked much before surgery and ate most of my meals in restaurants and fast food places.

I learned to cook and bake foods that were good for my weight loss. I can now bake excellent treats with no sugar or wheat flour.

I have lost all of my food cravings. I still track what I eat and I still weigh myself every day. It has been eight years and I am still loving this surgery and new lease on life.

Use the Postop planner in the Resources at the top of the page to see if you are losing at the expected rate and when you should reach your goal. Here is some info on the three week stall

The Three Week Stall - read about it

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Grim_Traveller
on 10/30/15 6:28 am
RNY on 08/21/12

50 pounds in a month? I never lost even half of that, in my best month.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Valerie G.
on 10/30/15 6:46 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

This will happen many more times as you're losing, so don't worry about it at all.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/30/15 8:23 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

You're only a month out, take a breath. 50lbs in a month is really good, but don't expect to lose every day or every week. Stalls are totally normal. I find that whenever the scale doesn't show a loss, I'm usually losing in inches. Start taking measurements, the scale is just 1 indicator of weight loss.

There was really nothing that I or probably anyone else can do to accelerate weight loss. I see this as a marathon, not a sprint. The body loses at its own pace, so I couldn't make it hurry up & do what I wanted it to do at the pace I wanted it to go. I lose in a stair step pattern. So far its been lose, bounce, hold, then lose again, its been working for me,

Exercise is great & is very beneficial for the body, but don't use it to speed up your weight loss, cuz it won't. In the end it all comes down to what your'e eating, follow your Drs plan for you & it will come off.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/15 8:42 am

Keep your view in the long term. This is a lifestyle, not a "fix". It's great that you are down 50 so quick, focus on that until you start losing again.

Your body is billions of little soldiers (cells), just waiting for their orders to proceed. Be realistic also, nobody could maintain a 50 pound a month weight loss and still be properly nourishing an exercise program to lose the weight.

I walk 1.5 miles, twice a day, everyday. It has been a transforming event in my life. And when I stall, I'm calm because I am walking daily.

Stay strong, be proud of yourself.