Can you loose more weight then they say you can?????

NateH
on 10/24/15 3:00 pm
VSG on 09/26/14

I was super morbidly obese at 450 pounds and 13 months (tomorrow) from my VSG and I've lost 92% of my excess body weight. Follow your plan, dedicate 100% 24/7/365 and you will be successful. YMMV as I'm not sure if 92% is "normal", but surgeon was hopeful I'd get to 70-75% so he's quite surprised/pleased.

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

steelergal
on 10/25/15 3:55 am

Thank you thats just what I needed to hear.........WONDERFUL YOUR MY HERO,,,,,,,,,I am not excited about the rvy as I am with the sleeve. CONGRATS.

Valerie G.
on 10/26/15 7:23 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Blood clots post op are from lack of circulation, usually. You could get one just as easily with a sleeve than with RNY if you're not moving around immediately after surgery and ongoing. They will get you up to walk around only a couple hours post op, and you're on your own from there, so take that horrible experience as inspiration to do what you need to do, no matter what procedure you get.

As for whether or not you can lose more than they tell you, chances are, you'll fall into those statistical norms that they are telling you, do I highly suggest you take their recommendations to heart.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/15 5:07 am

When I was in the hospital on the bariatric floor I was astounded that the vast majority of the patients categorically refused to comply with the most basic instructions to walk around etc.... I did walk every fifteen minutes there and at home and I healed fine from an RNY - then again I was pretty healthy going in. Its true that the sleeve is much less invasive and less risky. Many people out eat it though -and we almost never get a second chance at revising surgery . So decide wisely . Personally I have gotten all the results I wanted with an RNY exercise and careful diet ...but if Ihad to choose again it would be an even more invasive procedure a DS .

DoryAnne2
on 10/27/15 9:29 am
RNY on 04/01/13

Read most of the replies to your question. I agree that what you do AFTER you lose the weight is extremely important, but I had the RNY and am very happy with the results. I've lost 100% of my excess weight (118 pounds) and am maintaining a healthy weight for about 1-1/2 years. Exercise, to me, is one of the most important tools to maintain. However, the people I know who had the RNY have lost the most amount of weight and had the best success keeping it off. I'm sure if you're diligent, you'd have great results with the sleeve as well.

HW:  268    SW:  255    GW:155    CW:  158

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE AREN'T THINGS.

RNY Surgery on 4/1/13   with Dr. Gohil

gram247
on 10/27/15 3:42 pm

I had the VSG 4 years ago. I lost 200 pounds.

My internist suggested the sleeve instead of the RNY, as the safer procedure. My surgeon agreed.

You may lose weight slower but you will loose if you follow the rules. The surgery is NOT a quick fix. Losing weight is hard work. The surgery is only one of many tools. You need to do whatever you feel comfortable with.

i didn't have any physical problems after the surgery. I continue to lose small amounts now but I really don't have to. I went from a size 32 to a size 10. I am very happy with my decision.

You need to be comfortable and happy with whichever surgery you have. Ultimately it is YOUR DECISION!

Good luck.

steelergal
on 10/28/15 12:53 am

Thank you very much your right i need to do whats best for me and today at 12 im having the sleeve I know I can do this I am a hard worker . WOW 200 LBS OR AMAZING.......

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/28/15 10:18 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Just check to make sure that projected weight loss is the only reason your surgeon is recommending the RNY. I think RNY is better if you have reflux and better for diabetics. You will want to confirm with your surgeon.

Those numbers you are quoting are higher than the last study I saw which shows more like 65% EBW lost at 2 years and 55% kept off at the 5 year mark. Your effort and determination make the difference at the 5 year mark.

Sharon