Does a high protein diet make you age faster ?

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/15 6:57 am

Is it possible that the lack of efficiency in a high protein diet ( which is what makes it work as a weight loss plan) is actually the body mimicking ( or fast forwarding to ) the lack of digestive efficiency that extreme aging causes ...

In my experience old people can eat pretty much anything and never gain weight . I had a gluten-free eating housemate who basically lived on meat ( and smelled horrible as a result ) . But he had lost and long term kept off a tremendous amount of excess weight using a high protein diet . The second he gave and ate ( even gluten free ) carbs... he regained like a balloon ... you could literally see the difference day to day until he dieted again. He was a chronic yo-yo dieter ... but always ate a LOT .. just with or without carbs .

My question is .. is this healthy ? Doesn't it overburden and eventually exhaust the detoxifying organs like the kidneys , the pancreas , the appendix? He seemed pretty healthy .. then again he worked for a high end vitamin company and had access to their best products as their salesman.

In all fairness he did a lot of fresh veggies too ... and rarely indulged in ( gross and old and uncaringly prepared ) restaurant food .

I'm curious what you all think... particularly the ones who haven't drank the kool-aid lol who figured a way to use this tool without overburdening the body or causing cravings and dieting .

White Dove
on 10/28/15 7:02 am - Warren, OH

I eat a high protein diet and my body is much younger than when I ate high carbs.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/15 7:19 am

I absolutely would agree that sugar in particular is aging to the body ... maybe all high glycemic index foods are ( I used to eat a lot of bread and milk but also worked out a lot )

One of the reasons I'm playing with giving up powdered milk is because i'm curious if I'll get as defined and light as I like .. I did it for a few days here and there and always lost a considerable amount of bloat .

Animal based Protein though is something else ... I CAN choose o eat complex carbs like squash, root vegetables , brown rice beans and veggies . Whey BTW IS an animal protein, a waste product of cheese making .

The problem with animal proteins is the high level of pesticides and food additives like antibiotics . Also because of they way they're raised things like cancer in chickens , e coli bacteria , unhealthy and unnatural levels of fat in feedlot-finsihed and cage-raised animals. Whatever any meat producer says .. I find its VERY hard to consistently buy free range organic meat and dairy unless you're a millionaire .

I would like to find the diet that gets rid of cellulite and " crepey " skin... that restores elasticity and thins out the fat layer underlying the skin-- without shortening lifespan .

Probably what this requires is a diet that promotes high levels of hormone production in the body . Any ideas or personal experience to share guys ?

pamela258
on 10/28/15 7:30 am
with
On October 28, 2015 at 2:19 PM Pacific Time, meeow3 wrote:

I absolutely would agree that sugar in particular is aging to the body ... maybe all high glycemic index foods are ( I used to eat a lot of bread and milk but also worked out a lot )

One of the reasons I'm playing with giving up powdered milk is because i'm curious if I'll get as defined and light as I like .. I did it for a few days here and there and always lost a considerable amount of bloat .

Animal based Protein though is something else ... I CAN choose o eat complex carbs like squash, root vegetables , brown rice beans and veggies . Whey BTW IS an animal protein, a waste product of cheese making .

The problem with animal proteins is the high level of pesticides and food additives like antibiotics . Also because of they way they're raised things like cancer in chickens , e coli bacteria , unhealthy and unnatural levels of fat in feedlot-finsihed and cage-raised animals. Whatever any meat producer says .. I find its VERY hard to consistently buy free range organic meat and dairy unless you're a millionaire .

I would like to find the diet that gets rid of cellulite and " crepey " skin... that restores elasticity and thins out the fat layer underlying the skin-- without shortening lifespan .

Probably what this requires is a diet that promotes high levels of hormone production in the body . Any ideas or personal experience to share guys ?

I think that's call plastic surgery or the elusive fountain of youth....

RNY - 8/12/2013

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/28/15 1:04 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On October 28, 2015 at 2:19 PM Pacific Time, meeow3 wrote:

There are no antibiotics in meat.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

sweetpotato1959
on 10/28/15 8:23 pm

Congrats on your sparklebaby! I just realized you are having him! Take care of yourself ...while you nourish and cherish your precious bundle.

Denise
on 10/29/15 4:03 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Aww, thanks! The doctor says he should be here any day now, I can't wait to meet him! :)

Kathy S.
on 10/29/15 8:28 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

How exciting Julie!! We didn't know you are expecting a wonderful little angel. Congratulations Mommy and we can't wait to him

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

sweetpotato1959
on 10/28/15 8:20 pm

When I changed to a milk , from cows that was produced without hormones , and organically raised with NON GMO corn or from grass fed stock.., it stopped my issues with milk... This milk is not cheap, but it does mean, I can have some.

You might look into the lactase enzyme for replacement to see if that reduces the bloat when you use milk, but be aware I found I needed to have it dispersed throughout my entire serving of milk for any appreciable effect. If you can find it in a gel cap..that might be your best method, as it could be mixed into your entire serving...I needed to use 3-4x the normal amount, because I had a lactose intolerance already, then had surgery...so I have almost none in my system. My Dr told me to find how much I needed, and I discovered it was cost prohibitive...(for me). I do ok with a tablespoon of regular dairy, as long as it is not often...creamer for my coffee has to be lactose free.., because it is my main comfort item..

The pesticides and antibiotics that may be in some meats, are there because of "feed lot" grow lots, those from clean pastures do not require antibiotics, and have no pesticide residue from grains. You get what you pay for, find an organic grower, to take care of these concerns.

on 10/28/15 7:12 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On October 28, 2015 at 1:57 PM Pacific Time, meeow3 wrote:

Is it possible that the lack of efficiency in a high protein diet ( which is what makes it work as a weight loss plan) is actually the body mimicking ( or fast forwarding to ) the lack of digestive efficiency that extreme aging causes ...

In my experience old people can eat pretty much anything and never gain weight . I had a gluten-free eating housemate who basically lived on meat ( and smelled horrible as a result ) . But he had lost and long term kept off a tremendous amount of excess weight using a high protein diet . The second he gave and ate ( even gluten free ) carbs... he regained like a balloon ... you could literally see the difference day to day until he dieted again. He was a chronic yo-yo dieter ... but always ate a LOT .. just with or without carbs .

My question is .. is this healthy ? Doesn't it overburden and eventually exhaust the detoxifying organs like the kidneys , the pancreas , the appendix? He seemed pretty healthy .. then again he worked for a high end vitamin company and had access to their best products as their salesman.

In all fairness he did a lot of fresh veggies too ... and rarely indulged in ( gross and old and uncaringly prepared ) restaurant food .

I'm curious what you all think... particularly the ones who haven't drank the kool-aid lol who figured a way to use this tool without overburdening the body or causing cravings and dieting .

Digestion is one of the bodily functions LEAST affected by aging.

Important to remember: one person's experience (or your personal observations) is NOT proof of an association or a trend. (The plural of anecdote is NOT "data!")

There is PLENTY of scientific and medical research to suggest that a high-protein diet is crucial after WLS. Any issues related to a high-protein diet are secondary to the protein itself-- reduced fiber intake, potential effects of red meat consumption, issues with ALREADY-COMPROMISED kidneys, etc. It wouldn't be considered "Kool-Aid" if there was much research suggesting a high chance of negative effects.