Protein and vitamins covered by insurance - it is most likely an insurance fraud

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/23/15 11:54 am

Reading about insurance companies paying for vitamins and minerals and proteins made me thinK "it's too good to be true". So it Is.

Apparently some of those companies also offer scar cream that they charge the insurance companies a lot of money every month. Thousands of dollars. Some people reported that their insurance companies were charged $3,000-$10,000 (yes - 10 thousand U$ ) for a month supply of "a scar cream" .

And you get free proteins and vitamins - benefiting from the scam... If your insurance company does not realize the are being scammed - then you are ok, if you don't care someone is taking advantage of the situation.

But what happens if the insurance asks for their money back? Or /and file charges against you for participating and benefiting from a fraud?

so - if you are getting "Free proteins and vitamins" you better check how much and what they are charging your insurance on your behalf. And getting anything in return from that company (i.e. free protein drinks) can be view as "a kickback " - payoff.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/23/15 12:30 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Thanks for posting this, Hala. I have blocked the relentless ads that appear on OH, so I don't know if they are still accepting advertising revenue from the companies that promise free vitamins and protein shakes.

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. And knowingly committing insurance fraud could put you in a whole new realm of trouble.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/23/15 12:33 pm

unfortunately - even if you don't know - but benefiting from a crime - may put you in a lot of trouble..

BTW: I notified OH - and they need to make sure those ads don't generate money for them.. .

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/23/15 12:48 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Good for you. OH shouldn't accept monies from companies that promote insurance fraud.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

lking
on 10/25/15 7:09 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

How are you able to block the ads?

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.