New to it all

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/15 2:18 pm

So, I'm starting my ninth week post-op of my RNY surgery. I'm down about 67 pounds and I think it might be too much, too soon. I eat 3 meals, really small. And I walk about 3 or 3.5 miles everyday. I feel fantastic, but I worry it's too fast. I don't get enough protein either. Can it be too fast? I worry that I'm malnourished also.

White Dove
on 10/22/15 3:12 pm - Warren, OH

There is no such problem as losing weight too fast. If someone strapped a 100 pound bag of flour to your back would you want them to lift it off slowly or quickly.

You need to track your foods and then eat or drink more protein if you did not get enough by the end of the day. Big meals should be a thing of the past.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/22/15 4:39 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Do you track what you're eating using an app like My Fitness Pal? It's very important to get your protein in. Otherwise you're going to have problems down the road.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

hollykim
on 10/22/15 7:14 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 22, 2015 at 9:18 PM Pacific Time, garyvigil wrote:

So, I'm starting my ninth week post-op of my RNY surgery. I'm down about 67 pounds and I think it might be too much, too soon. I eat 3 meals, really small. And I walk about 3 or 3.5 miles everyday. I feel fantastic, but I worry it's too fast. I don't get enough protein either. Can it be too fast? I worry that I'm malnourished also.

no it is not too fast. As long as you are overweight, you can't be malnourished. Your body is feeding itself from your stored fat, which is what it is supposed to do. That is how you lose weight.

MsBatt
on 10/23/15 9:44 pm
On October 23, 2015 at 2:14 AM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:

no it is not too fast. As long as you are overweight, you can't be malnourished. Your body is feeding itself from your stored fat, which is what it is supposed to do. That is how you lose weight.

Actually, you CAN be obese AND malnourished. Many, many obese people ARE malnourished---because they're eating the wrong things.

hollykim
on 10/24/15 1:57 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 24, 2015 at 4:44 AM Pacific Time, MsBatt wrote:
On October 23, 2015 at 2:14 AM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:

Actually, you CAN be obese AND malnourished. Many, many obese people ARE malnourished---because they're eating the wrong things.

technically, yes. Most ppl obese enough for surgery eat plenty of junk and plenty of ,at least, semi nutritious food.

Opp is post op. Between even small amounts of food and her fat, which the body converts into EXACTLY the fuel ones needs plus vitamins, I find it hard to believe anyone could truly be malnourished.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/23/15 6:23 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

The rate depends on how much you have to lose, how old you are, how active you are, and if you are male or female, among other thins. If you are getting in your protein, water, and vitamins, there is VERY little risk that you are malnourished. I had blood work done at 3 months, so if your doctor does that, you will know for sure if everything is OK. 12 weeks is fast approaching for you.

This is what old-timers call 'the honeymoon phase" when your body is trying to get to its new set point ASAP. Enjoy it, may it last forever.

Sharon

Tracy D.
on 10/23/15 7:29 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Consider yourself blessed! The faster you get it off the better; the faster you get it off the quicker your co-morbidities will be resolved.

Great job!

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15