New to Posst

Thellie
on 10/27/15 11:18 am

I have a history of heart issues, one being a triple bypass 3 years ago. Other than than i'm a very healthy person. I have recently had my heart checked out and given a clean bill of health. A gastric doctor here in Canada said that I don't qualify for the sleeve because of my age (65).He would however do the band. A Dr. Ortiz in Mexico would not qualify me either but another Mexican doctor said no problem. This is my question. Do I listen to the two no's or the yes, or do I keep looking. Don't know what do do.

Tracy D.
on 10/27/15 11:46 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Age should have nothing to do with whether you are healthy enough to have VSG. There are people on here who were your age or older and had it. I know people in my WL support group who are older than you and have had successful surgeries.

The big issue is your heart. I have a mother with heart issues and she had a triple bypass years ago. I would never, ever trust her to have surgery in Mexico. Those places (although good for people in excellent health) aren't equipped to handle a serious cardiac event.

I'd keep looking in Canada for a doctor who isn't discriminating based on age and will carefully evaluate whether or not he believes your heart can handle the surgery.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Thellie
on 10/27/15 12:11 pm

You are probably right to stay in Canada. I really dont want the band, heard too many issues after the fact. Don't know what to do.

sweetpotato1959
on 10/27/15 8:10 pm

You might want to check other surgery centers in other countries...There are a lot of good Doctors coming out of India.,... be careful to what area you choose, check for stability/ unrest and etc...... I do know they did a gall bladder removal for 500$, 8 years ago.....I don't know about bariatric surgery,...but think out of the box.

Keep searching.. Check the experience and amount of procedures performed just like you were asking in Canada or here...

Chanti_
on 10/28/15 3:09 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with
On October 27, 2015 at 6:18 PM Pacific Time, Thellie wrote:

I have a history of heart issues, one being a triple bypass 3 years ago. Other than than i'm a very healthy person. I have recently had my heart checked out and given a clean bill of health. A gastric doctor here in Canada said that I don't qualify for the sleeve because of my age (65).He would however do the band. A Dr. Ortiz in Mexico would not qualify me either but another Mexican doctor said no problem. This is my question. Do I listen to the two no's or the yes, or do I keep looking. Don't know what do do.

I went to Mexico from Nova Scotia for my VSG, but I am a healthy 40 year old and besides obesity I have no other health problems. I still investigated where to go for months and months. The hospital I went to was very good, had a fully functional ICU. I didn't investigate @ the time about support for a pt with heart disease. Also, my surgeon has done over 8000 VSG's. By the time I selected him and had chatted both with him and his coordinator I was completely comfortable with my decision.

I have thought about this surgery for my Dad who is 63 with diabetes and hx of heart attack and bypass. We have discussed it and he doesn't want to go 'under the knife'. I have to respect that. If he was willing I definitely would call my surgeon and have a good long chat about the what if's. Think about if you did have a major event ie stroke, an MI, either during or after the surgery. Would they be able to take care of you in that acute situation. If they are able, for how long, and at what cost to you. How would you get home? The risk of VSG in either country is the same IF your surgeon and their team is qualified. The difference is you are 2 countries away from home if it hits the fan.

Your Canadian cardiologist gave you a clean bill of health. That's a good sign. I don't understand why they would do the band and not a VSG? You have to receive a general anesthetic for both so the risk is the same there. They both are done laproscopically and minimally invasive so very similar there. Unless their main concern is about VSG complications ie a leak post op. If your surgeon is good the risk is very small. Maybe your Canadian surgeon is just not all that comfortable with the procedure. Can you get a 2nd opinion? I know that's not always an option. Here in NS there is one doc doing the weight loss procedures for the province, ONE! Don't get me started, the 10 year wait list people have here, it drives me mad.

Did you know that there is self pay surgery in Quebec. Quite a bit more expensive then Mexico, but you do have the security of being in the mother country for post op care and complications. I know nothing more about the Quebec option but it wouldn't hurt to check it out.

Another point to consider. If you don't do something about your weight what is your quality of life going to be? You didn't mention in your post how crucial it is that you have bariatric surgery. Are you able to carry on with the regular activities of life? Is your BMI over 40? Where will you be in 5 years without some sort of help with weight loss?

I hope you keep us posted, good luck to you.

Thellie
on 10/28/15 12:21 pm

Today I received an email from Dr. Cabrera's office to say that I have qualified for the sleeve. it will be done at a hospital with and ICU. Now my husband who hasn't said much through this search said that he was really uncomfortable with me having the sleeve and having it in Mexico. I do not want the band, heard too many things ca go wrong down the road.

How can I convince my husband that this is want I want.

White Dove
on 10/28/15 3:42 am - Warren, OH

Will that gastric doctor do the RNY for you? At 65 it would be a more appropriate procedure for you. Faster weight loss with malabsorption and less risk of leaks and GERD. I am surprised if that was not offered to you.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends