When should I expect my hair to start growing back??

WereYorkie
on 10/26/15 5:18 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

I am 5 1/2 months post-op and started losing massive amounts of what little hair I had left on my head (I am PCOS with thin hair). I just took a picture of the head to look at the damage and started crying when I looked at the image on my phone.

Sure... it's part ego... but my biggest fear is that it doesn't come back. I totally need to be talked down at this moment... At this moment I am so angry that I'm about to say F%$k it!! and shave my head. Nice on a guy. Not so nice on a woman with a weird looking head.

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

White Dove
on 10/26/15 5:27 pm - Warren, OH

Hair usually is on a three month rotation so you should start seeing a lot new growth in about three months. Do not shave your head but do talk to your stylist about a different style and possible adding a hairpiece for a while. Also look into the stuff that you put on your head to cover up the bald spots. It works quite well.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

sweetpotato1959
on 10/26/15 6:00 pm

When you boost your Zinc levels! Zinc is stored in the body in the bone. Be sure to check your calcium/ magnesium levels. If you are loosing zinc... you are loosing the other minerals as well... cold -eze losenge is easiest to take. after they are up, 1/2 losenge - to one a week will maintain. If it tastes "off"...real bad, your level is up.

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/15 6:29 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

My surgeon tells people to expect the hair loss to last about 9 months. My surgery date was really close to yours and I'm still losing handfuls, but I started losing it even before surgery.

WereYorkie
on 10/26/15 6:48 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

(hugs her sister in hair loss)

Yeah, I hate taking showers now because you look down at the drain and half your hair is there.

I used to have thick, tttthick! hair, but started losing it at 18. It was baby fine prior to surgery. Now... sighs.....

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/15 7:57 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Haha thanks! We're all in this together, lol.

Actually, if you look at the photos in my ticker, you can see how much hair I've lost, especially between the 3rd and 5th pics. And I've lost a lot more since then! At least it's a lot more manageable now. Mine is baby fine too, but I used to have a lot of it.

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/15 5:17 am

I really like biotin and hair/nail vitamins to help hair growth. Brushing regulary with a boars head bristle brush is the remedy that old non-bald guys swear by whi*****reases blood flow to the scalp and promotes thick beautiful hair. Victorian women swore by one hundred strokes of a natural bristle brush per day too.

I had some hair loss post op ( minoxidil stops it but at what price time and money wise) ... I got a layered haircut which I hated but noone noticed the thinning. Now my hair is blunt cut waist -length and very thick and still growing. The biotin makes the hair on my legs underarms and bikini area grow fast too... that part drives me crazy ...

Valerie G.
on 10/27/15 5:28 am, edited 10/26/15 10:28 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Step off of that ledge! The hair came out because new hairs are pushing it out. I know of a gal *****sorted to wigs for a while and liked them so much that she continues to wear them for a change now and then. If your hair is longer, try some short layers to blend in that new growth that is emerging. Highlights also have a plumping effect for the first few weeks, too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes