Do I need a caretaker immediately after wls?

Jansul
on 10/22/15 9:11 am

Hi. I'm new to the forum. My surgery date is 12/07. I live alone. My best friend has offered to let me stay at her house immediately after surgery. However, she is a terrible housekeeper and has lots of clutter (trash, dirty clothing, dog hair, and millions of nick nacks) and I'm cleaner and don't like lots of clutter. Her house makes me very anxious. I usually can't stay more than 3-4 hours. She says her cousin who had the surgery 7 years ago says I need someone with me that first week. Do I really? Would it be better to be calm and relaxed in my house with my pets or should I tough it out at her house and board my pets?

Janice

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/22/15 9:38 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I slept almost the entire time for the first few days. My mom stayed with me for a few days, but she didn't do anything much more than bring drinks from the kitchen and keep me company.

A good option might be to have your friend "on call" in case you need something, especially if she lives reasonably close. That way, if you need something picked up from the pharmacy, you discover you're out of protein powder, or that sort of thing, she could come over to help if you need it. Otherwise, you'll be OK on your own.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

peachpie
on 10/22/15 9:46 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I would not go someplace I was uncomfortable...I think that effects the mentality needed to heal.

No one stayed home with me the first week. I made sure the house was set up so I didn't really need to go up/down the steps for anything.I don't live alone though... kids came home from school and hubby came home from work...they did the housework/cooking.

I did have a visiting nurse who came out like 3 times, standard for the hospital I used.

crystal M.
on 10/22/15 10:31 am - Joliet, IL

Granted I had Band surgery and not RNY or Sleeve. But I lived by myself and had a friend that lived close by. She would stop in daily after work for the first 3 days to see if I needed anything from the store or help with anything around the house. I really didn't need much looking after. The same went for my gallbladder surgery. I would sleep, walk around periodically and watch TV....I don't need help with that.

Sarah M.
on 10/22/15 11:22 am

My mom stayed with us for a few days but that was just for the baby. I definitely wasn't able to do that the first few days. My husband was home a few days after but he mostly ran errands and worked on projects in the garage. So having someone to do those things was nice. I was completely able to care for myself and made a point to go up and down my stairs at least twice a day. I certainly don't think it would help you heal to be somewhere that you know causes you stress/anxiety.

Tracy D.
on 10/22/15 12:16 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I had my husband home the day I came home from the hospital...but I didn't "need" him there. I was perfectly capable of caring for myself. I had surgery on a Friday, home on Sunday, driving myself and doing errands on Tuesday.

Don't stay at your friend's house - stress is NOT conducive to recovery! There's no reason you can't stay in your own home and take care of your pets.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

SKmammabear
on 10/22/15 12:21 pm

My husband was my caretaker. I couldn't have done it if I hadn't had him there. For me, I had the DS, gallbladder removed and hyatal hernia repaired. I was pretty unstead on my feet. Even trying to get up from the toilet the first few days was hard to do. Please go somewhere or have someone come to you. You will heal much easier in your own comfort zone.

Best wishes!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 10/22/15 12:31 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I didn't need anyone during recovery. My husband was here but I didn't need him to be. The only thing that might be tough is if you've large dogs that need walked. I'd just have my friend stop by and check on me periodically.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

floweringgemini
on 10/22/15 12:34 pm - Rocky Point, NC

I had surgery Monday. Getting up has been hard to do alone the first couple days but as of today I would be fine. Better off I think alone. I am starting to deal with some mixed emotions about food and seeing as how mu S.O is a skinny guy it is all stuff that he does not understand and I just dont have the energy to explain again for the millionth time. If you have someone to come check on you and help you if you need it then you should be fine alone. I especially could not imagine feeling as good as I do 48 hours off the operating table staying in an environment like you described. Good Luck

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/22/15 1:07 pm

I did not. The first day when I was home post op ( I spent 2 nights at the hospital) I was able to make my own tea and protein shakes...

di don't need anyone. I was actually glad I was home by myself.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."