Pre-Surgery Questions

waitingtolive
on 10/21/15 8:50 am

Thanks for posting! I'm 26 and was recommended by my spine surgeon 5 years ago to look into a weight loss surgery. So I have been researching on and off and I feel that I'm ready for this change. I spent most of my life taking care of others and it's time for me to care for myself. I'm starting my insurance pre-op and I also have the same questions. Good luck on your journey.

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/15 9:37 am

Good luck on yours as well!

MsBatt
on 10/23/15 9:57 pm

Why do you think the RNY is the best fit for you? (I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just asking why you think it is. I know that for me, explaining something to someone else really helps clarify my thoughts.)

Also, have you researched the Duodenal Switch as well as the VSG/Sleeve and the RNY/gastric bypass? I was 45 when I had my DS---nearly 12 years ago---and it's really the ONLY form of WLS that I think I could be happy living with. The RNY scared the crap outta me back then, and nothing I've learned about it since has made it any less scary to me, personally. Look into things like reactive hypoglycemia, regain stats, strictures, dumping, food intolerances, and such.

I don't have ANY regrets about my DS. I'm living a far more 'normal' life post-op than I ever did, pre-op.

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/15 8:55 am, edited 10/27/15 2:12 am

From discussing with my doctor we decided on RNY due to it's higher success rate than the sleeve in initial loss and maintenance, as well as the metabolic benefits that come from RNY that don't come from the sleeve. I also have a family history of GERD that can be exacerbated by the sleeve. Personally, I am not viewing dumping syndrome as a negative consequence. I think that side effect could be an effective behavioural modifier in keeping me away from foods that I shouldn't be eating. All of the research that I've done on the duodenal switch indicates it actually has a higher risk of complications than RNY (given that in the studies I've looked comparing the two procedures, the average patient receiving a duodenal switch has a higher BMI and is normally at higher risk for complications of any surgery), albeit typically different types of complications (i.e. dumping syndrome versus the higher malnutrition rate with DS).The rates of initial loss and maintenance are a bit higher with DS, but the fact that there's so much more long-term research with RNY and that my insurance won't cover DS as it's still considered an experimental treatment makes me more comfortable with RNY.

As DS is essentially a combination of the sleeve and bypass, what about RNY do you find scary that you don't find scary about DS?

sweetpotato1959
on 10/26/15 5:50 pm

i will not address every question. I had a diffeent wt loss surgery many years ago.. nothing like it is done now...but it was surgery and it gave me an effective TOOL to use to regain my health.

I do not have any regrets. My health issues made me very fragile, before surgery. It gave me control and stability for my blood sugars. I do have some serious side effects, I can address them all without prescription medications at present. I had a severe reactive hypoglycemia, and my thresh-hold was extremely low...(I have been hypoglycemic / pre-diabetic for 35 years). arthritic, PCOS.. Loosing the weight helped with control of hormones.,( I could have had more children...I had the option)..Lactose intolerant., with some gastritis.. Then I had surgery.

....What I wish I had known...What I wish someone had told me....

#1 Calcium citrate is the easiest to absorb.. find one you can swallow and just do it! Build it now! ASAP.. I lost most of my teeth, due to cracking, not repairable. Stock up. BE diligent! to take suppliments, even if you have to skip a meal.

.... If you have a procedure that interferes with absorbtion, Iron levels CAN drop drastically between 3-5 years. Don't stop checking, be pro-active about your levels. YOU are responsible for knowing if your levels on each test are at optimum for YOU. Keep a paper copy. Natural suppliments are available that will not hurt your stomach.

... Maintaining zinc levels prevents hair loss. easy to maintain with " cold -eze" once a week.

... make copies of all your post surgical instructions..make several copies of the vitamin regimine Your SURGEON recommends, you will be doing this the rest of your life and you will need to keep and share this with every physician that provides for your care.

...Check your list monthly to make sure you have not left any thing off.( did I run out and forget to pick more up)

...KNOW what kind of results you can reasonably expect-understanding this is the beginning of a journey...get a time line of the expected progress..ie..when you will return to various foods and a "loose timeline", so you can manage expectations and pre-stock needs as much as possible.

...this helps for protein suppliments..sugar free hot cocoa mix and protein mix was my mainstay for three weeks, as my pouch part of my procedure was very small..immediately post op the hardest for me was getting in my prescribed fluid amount and protein..Combining both in one product mad it possible. .

....RE: Intake goals: In addition to protein goals, you will need to have a range goal for your carbs..a low and a high... and a goal for what calorie intake is expected/ desired at each phase.

Hope these help you... take care of yourself, If you do not value yourself, No one else will!

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/15 9:04 am

Thank you for the advice!