Im new.

pamitch11
on 10/18/15 3:46 pm

Hello, Im new to this site and close to getting this surgery. Is there any really good advice anyone can give me before I go into this? and even afterwards? I would greatly appreciate it. I admit im a little nervous.

supershopper
on 10/18/15 6:12 pm

Look through this board plus the one that directly relates to the type of surgery you are going to have. Tons of good info...

It's normal to be nervous...

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

WereYorkie
on 10/18/15 6:20 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

Welcome to the Funny Farm... i mean, OH Forums! Which surgery are you getting? There are different types-RNY, Sleeve, etc. Do you have a surgery date yet?

What kind of advice are you looking for? Pre-surgery? Foods? Psychological questions?

I know we will all be happy to help. One that note, please understand that the people answering are all talking from experience. You may not like the answer you get sometimes. People come here with different levels of food issues. We all struggle with food addictions--working on them and through them will give you long term success.

We are here to help and support you as you learn to create long term good habits...food, exercise, emotional. Good luck and we hope to see you on the "Loser's Bench"!

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

MsBatt
on 10/18/15 6:28 pm

Research the three main forms of WLS---VSG/Sleeve, RNY/gastric bypass, and DS/duodenal switch. Until you understand all of them, you can't possibly make the best choice as to which is right for YOU. Don't base your choice of surgery type on what your friend or family member had, or even what your doctor recommends, UNLESS that doctor is a surgeon who routinely performs ALL the different surgeries. After all, the Ford dealer isn't going to tell you that the best car for you is a Chevy.

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/15 2:30 am

Learn all you can. Read and reread about everything that has to do with WLS and life afterwards. Start to think about you will eat after surgery. I think the more you immerse yourself into this new lifestyle the easier it will be to live it after surgery. Also come here often and ask any questions you have. there is so much help and support here. I think most of us were nervous. Perhaps if we weren't then we weren't taking this whole thing seriously. You will get through it just fine. Let us know more about yourself, the type and date of your upcoming surgery.

Mathew M.
on 10/19/15 7:48 am

Welcome to the club.

Remember always...this is NOT a cure. It is a tool. You still have to work at it. But in the Battle of the Bulge, this tool finally tips the scales in your favor.

49 years old, male.

5'11", HW:306, SW:284, CW:194.5, Goal:195lbs.VSG 6/19/15, Dr. Scott Cunneen at Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles.

Kathy S.
on 10/19/15 9:13 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Welcome to ObesityHelp! We are glad that you have joined our OH community.

As you check out OH, you'll see many features and tools that are created for our members as you embark on your WLS journey. OH is a great place for support, research and tools to assist you with your journey. Here are a few suggestions:

About Obesity
About Weight Loss Surgery
Medical Necessity
Post-op Planner
BMI Calculator
Health Tracker

We also have a great HELP SECTION with tutorials to assist you with navigating our site. If you need our assistance, you can reach us at [email protected]

You didn't mention what surgery type you are researching and or having. May we suggest you post on the forum for your surgery type to reach out to those that are having the same surgery as you.

Duodenal Switch Forum (DS)

LAP-BAND Forum

Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY)

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)

We look forward to your updates

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130