diet

katiebug74
on 10/15/15 7:37 pm

2 week diet before surgery is really hard, any suggestions?

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/16/15 1:21 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

When my doctor told me that he wanted me to lose weight before surgery, I was pissed - I almost said, "Why bother, it will just come back on." It took a few seconds for my brain to say to itself, "No, that is why you are having weight loss surgery, so it won't come back." The promise of WLS helped me make better decisions during that time. Also, every pound you lose before surgery is gone and moves you closer to your goal.

I have since come to understand that the 2 weeks prior to surgery diet helps you have a better surgery and less soreness during recovery. I understand that the diet shrinks your liver, which the surgeon has to manoever around to do the surgery. Also, it gives you time to practice following dietary instructions.

Only 2 weeks to go! Congrats. Next week I will be 10 months post surgery (12/22/14). Best decision I made. I lost about 15 pounds in the 6 weeks before surgery - that included Thanksgiving and many holiday parties. You can do it.

Sharon

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/16/15 8:16 am
RNY on 08/05/19

White-knuckle it and get through.

If you think the pre-op diet is hard, you're in for a bit of a surprise after surgery. No solids for at least a month (at least for most folks), as few carbs as possible, and most of the things we used to like to eat are off-limits.

It's drastic... but so is surgery.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Mathew M.
on 10/16/15 9:30 am

It wad not nearly as hard as I had expected...even the 48 hour clear liquid fast leading right up to surgery. We can do almost anything for a short time. Keep your eye on the prize. It will be so worth it.

You can do it.

49 years old, male.

5'11", HW:306, SW:284, CW:194.5, Goal:195lbs.VSG 6/19/15, Dr. Scott Cunneen at Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles.

(deactivated member)
on 10/16/15 4:08 pm

I made protein shakes with lots of ice in the blender so they were kind of like a slushy.I didn't try and drink them in one go but just kept sipping as the hours went by. Seemed to work better to keep a little nutrition going in all the time. Sometimes I added fruit to the shake. You could probably throw cottage cheese in there too. Are you allowed any "real food" or are you just on liquids? Whatever you are allowed it will be very worth it and you can make it.