Physical Allergy

SkinnyScientist
on 10/14/15 10:23 pm

Hi Gang,

I am cross posting this in the exercise and general discussion forums.

I am training for a half marathon. After 2 weeks off due to end of year production quotas,I got on the "dreadmill" for a long run.

2 miles in I was overcome with this intense itching around my entire trunk (aka stomach AND back). No amount of itching satisfied it.

It was finished by mile 6 but it was a miserable hour and a terrible way to start my run.

In the mirror, one could see my stretch marks had turned bright purple, with cherry red dots and they have stayed that way for about 48 hours.

I have a row of itchy bumps on my right thigh.

I have not changed my diets, these clothes have worn before with no problem (aka I know they dont chafe), and i havent changed my soaps/detergents.

So, I looked this up on the internet and there is something called "Physical allergy" where the mast cells degranulate in response to exercise. The solution is to take an antihistamine BEFORE working out.

This solution is viable BUT I developed it just out of nowhere literally. I dont understand WHY it has started now. Further, I wonder whether it will be a recurrent thing.

Does anyone else have this problem? I really dont want to be taking antihistamines several times per day. Alternatively, the literature reports people have DIED after developing swelling in their trachea and airways.

Any home remedies to alleviate this? One I read is that I should quit eating high histamine foods, but that is my entire diet (i.e. nuts, meats, wine, sauerkraut, fermented foods, pickles).

-Concerned and wanting to know why

Skinny

Hi Gang,

I am cross posting this in the exercise and general discussion forums.

I am training for a half marathon. After 2 weeks off due to end of year production quotas,I got on the "dreadmill" for a long run.

2 miles in I was overcome with this intense itching around my entire trunk (aka stomach AND back). No amount of itching satisfied it.

It was finished by mile 6 but it was a miserable hour and a terrible way to start my run.

In the mirror, one could see my stretch marks had turned bright purple, with cherry red dots and they have stayed that way for about 48 hours.

I have a row of itchy bumps on my right thigh.

I have not changed my diets, these clothes have worn before with no problem (aka I know they dont chafe), and i havent changed my soaps/detergents.

So, I looked this up on the internet and there is something called "Physical allergy" where the mast cells degranulate in response to exercise. The solution is to take an antihistamine BEFORE working out.

This solution is viable BUT I developed it just out of nowhere literally. I dont understand WHY it has started now. Further, I wonder whether it will be a recurrent thing.

Does anyone else have this problem? I really dont want to be taking antihistamines several times per day. Alternatively, the literature reports people have DIED after developing swelling in their trachea and airways.

Any home remedies to alleviate this? One I read is that I should quit eating high histamine foods, but that is my entire diet (i.e. nuts, meats, wine, sauerkraut, fermented foods, pickles).

-Concerned and wanting to know why

Skinny

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

supershopper
on 10/15/15 5:56 am

Very strange- I can't say I've had the exact same thing happen but I don't run- but last year in July I was traveling for work and was wearing pants with elastic in them and developed a rash along my waist and thighs and arms. Went to the DR and they thought I had caught something from the hotel (like scabies). Went through all these treatments and no help. The spots would itch so bad that I would itch my skin right off causing scarring. Eventually (like 4 months later) would clear up.

The dermatologist thought I had excema and did a ton of patch tests with no result. this year again it has started up. I'm almost wondering about spandex and heat causing it.

i've tried everything, no fragrance laundry, all natural, more lotion, special cremes, not eating yellow food dye or using products with it in there. I even thought it was my body wash at one point (was using Bath and body works and that has yellow dye in it).

i did find one other person that has it and she swears it is stress induced excema

Seems in the cooler months it is not an issue also.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Tracy D.
on 10/15/15 1:24 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Could you have developed an allergy to spandex or latex?

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

auntmimi
on 10/15/15 10:03 am

I have had something similar happen to me. Mine was on the treadmill and my chest began to itch and my arms. It was pretty intense, but I just kept going. There was no clothes touching it and before I knew it I had tons of tiny red dots cropping up and welts, even though I hadnt scratched myself. Its only happened a few times. When it starts thats when I know I need to back off a little and then it subsides. IDK if this is even CLOSE to what you are describing. I would just back off a little when it starts and see if it subsides.

Good Luck!

SkinnyScientist
on 10/15/15 10:24 am

Very similar!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

ladygodiva1228
on 10/15/15 11:07 am, edited 10/15/15 4:07 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I bet it is physical urticaria look it up. Have they gone away?

It could also be shingles. Lots of adults are coming down with it almost out of nowhere.

Honestly it could be a lot of things. You might want to give your doctor a call if it doesn't go away.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl