Contrave during 6 month medically supervised weight loss

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/15 7:05 am

Thank you for the reply.  I have both BCBS and Tricare Reserve Select.  Since I have Tricare, I'm unable to participate in the savings card and scale down program.  The pills are so expensive and my BCBS employee contribution just went up >$3k so I am dropping Tricare which should then allow me to use the card and program.

Talkingmountain
on 1/15/16 5:17 pm
RNY on 12/28/15

I'm on BCBS and took Contrave (if you go online they have various savings programs). It was pretty affordable, as they had all kinds of incentives at Contrave.com.

I've tried every weight loss medication on the market except Belviq and Contrave was the ONLY one that worked for me (except Fen-Phen, which was fabulous but no longer available). I've even taken Wellbutrin alone (one of the two components of Contrave) and it didn't do anything for me. 

One reason I think Contrave worked where others didn't is that it contains the same chemical used to help block pleasure receptors in heroin/opioids addicts. Sugar lights up the same brain receptors. Even though I would still eat some sugar and chocolate while on Contrave, I just didn't get that "buzz" from them so I would lose interest quickly. And it definitely curbed my overall hunger levels  

Contrave did make me quite drowsy after each dose for a few days, but that went away after a week or so. It also raised my blood pressure to dangerously high levels for the first few days after each dose increase, but my dr and I decided it was worth the risk and he put me on a mild antuhypertensive as a precaution. You should definitely be checking your bp regularly, at least the first couple of weeks, as this is one of the known potential side effects. 

Ht 5'6" | HW 278 | SW 264, Size 28+/4-5X | GW 135ish, Size 10-12 | CW 132, Size 8-10
Surg Date 12/28/15 | NSV Goal: Go down slide w/kid! 

lking
on 1/15/16 7:20 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

I took Contrave for 3 months. It did me no good. I ended taking it about 4 months before I began my supervised weight loss classes. I only lost 7 pounds. Fyi, the drug is very expensive, even with the drug company's consumer discount.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.