Plataue

LBraaten
on 10/12/15 10:31 pm - Leavenworth, KS

Hello everyone, I had the gastric bypass on July 15 2015. My highest weight was 465 on October 22 2014 which was when I went to the seminar. My surgery weight was 424 and I am currently 370. I have been the same weight now for two weeks. I am not only frustrated but extremely worried. I have been doing too good to fail. I work out in the pool every other day swimming 20 to 30 laps and water zumba once a week and use water weights as well. I have amazing portion control so I just can't figure out for the life of me what I am doing wrong. I can't believe I plateau at 95 pounds down. I could use all of the help / advise that I can possibly get. Thanks, Lisa

White Dove
on 10/13/15 12:40 am - Warren, OH

You have gotten off to a great start. Almost all of my post-op exercise has been with water aerobics and water weights. I love the way it gives me great exercise and no pain the next day.

In addition to the water workouts, you need to get started with tracking your food. That means getting a food scale and keeping exact measurements of what you are eating. I cannot recommend My Fitness Pal highly enough. It allows you to scan the label of foods for a really accurate picture of the nutrition you are taking in.

Portion control is tricky and it does not take that many extra calories a day to put you into a stall and keep you there. Weighing and tracking your food will be an eye-opener.

A fitness tracker is a great investment. Research one that works well for swimming and water exercise. You need it to have water resistance as well as a swim mode. Also get a smart scale like an Aria or Withins. You want one that uses WIFI to upload your data, not one where you have to get your phone and take pictures of the scale to get your data in.

Using these tools will give you accurate information on what is going on with your body. You will be able to see how your food and exercise affects your body weigh****er weight, BMI, bone mass and fat percentage.

Your surgery is a tool and so are the other tools. You can make them all work together to get all of the excess weight off and maintain that loss.

Another great and free tool that you can use right now is the Post-Op Planner on this site. Click the MORE button, select Menu and Postop Planner. Put your stats in and you will get a good picture of how much weight you will expect to lose each month.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

LBraaten
on 10/13/15 7:05 am - Leavenworth, KS

Thank you so much for the wonderful advise. I am absolutely going to look into the smart scale and the fitness tracker. I have a food scale and tiny measure cups so I definitely am going to get back into weighing and measuring my food. Thank you so much.

Grim_Traveller
on 10/13/15 5:01 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'd like to second everything White Dove said. You really need to KNOW exactly what and how much you are eating. It will really help you to KNOW you are on track. Then it's easier to ride out small fluctuations.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

LBraaten
on 10/13/15 7:07 am - Leavenworth, KS

Thank you. She gave great advise and I am going to look into everything she mentioned. Thanks

MsBatt
on 10/14/15 1:21 pm

It's not really a plateau until you've gone AT LEAST 4 weeks without losing either pounds or inches, and they happen to EVERYONE. I suggest you throw your scale away and weigh only at your doctor's office. That won't do anything about the rate at which you lose weight, but it will affect how you feel about it. (*grin*)