Too old?

mrsmomrn1
on 10/3/15 10:59 am

I am considering having weight loss surgery, in Mexico, and am looking for a good surgeon and need help! Interested in the sleeve procedure. I am going to be 67 this month and need to find some place to accept me. No heart disease, pneumonia 3 times AFTER surgeries (not severe) due to reflux. Have Hiatal hernia that I would like to get done at the same time. Healthy, but chronic dieter, no heart disease, no high BP, no circulatory problems, have depression well managed with meds, and have general osteoarthritis (back is particularly affected. AM I TOO OLD??? SIck of losing and gaining!!

DonnaMaria
on 10/3/15 3:04 pm

The doctors will have to decide but I think I know someone that was recommended WLS around your age. Best of luck to you!

nellie67
on 10/3/15 10:12 pm

I had revision at age 68. No complications.

VintageWine
on 10/3/15 11:05 pm

I really don't know. That's something the doctors will have to determine. If it helps, there have been a couple of older people that my surgeon has operated on and they've been doing great.

christinerocks
on 10/4/15 5:46 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

In good health, I think you'd be fine. Join us over on the "Over 50" chat board for some golden perspectives!!

Also cross post on the VSG board - they are an active community, and you may find some good referrals to surgeons.

Another thing to research (and consider) is your disposition to reflux. The sleeve may actually make this a bit worse - it seems to, for many folks. I had the RNY in large part due to this and I haven't had a single episode of reflux or heartburn since surgery. Just a consideration - you may already know this, but I wanted to share.

Best wishes to you in your journey.

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

White Dove
on 10/4/15 12:27 pm - Warren, OH

It is not unreasonable for a person in good health today to anticipate living until 100. That means that you could enjoy 33 years of being slim and healthy. I had RNY at 59 and am very happy with the surgery. The result for me was fast weight loss due to the early malabsorption. When that wore off after two and a half years I had to work harder at calorie counting to make sure I do not regain.

I am 67 now and still under my goal weight of 136. I am never hungry and have never felt hunger since having the surgery in 2007. I do not have food cravings. I am healthy, happy and full of energy. I rock my size 4 jeans and most people think I am much younger than I actually am.

RNY was the best decision I ever made for myself.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends