New To the Forum

Bigups2315
on 9/28/15 7:10 am

I just wanted to introduce myself. I ma new to this amazing website and am scheduled to have surgery on Dec 21st. My original thought was to go with the lap band, but my Dr has told me to look into the sleeve. So that's what I've been doing. Just to let you know this forum has helped answer some questions that I already had and some I didn't even think about. I just want to let you guys know that I am excited to part of this community now. I also am looking forward to sharing my success with you on my journey.

Kathy S.
on 9/28/15 11:05 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Bigups2315

Welcome to ObesityHelp!  We are glad that you have joined our OH community.  

As you check out OH, you'll see many features and tools that are created for our members as you embark on your WLS journey.  OH is a great place for support, research and tools to assist you with your journey.  Here are a few suggestions:

About Obesity
About Weight Loss Surgery
Medical Necessity
Post-op Planner
BMI Calculator
Health Tracker

We also have a great HELP SECTION with tutorials to assist you with navigating our site. If you need our assistance, you can reach us at [email protected]

Sounds like you are on your way! Congratulations on your surgery date!

We look forward to your updates

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Kathy S.
on 9/28/15 11:06 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
(deactivated member)
on 9/28/15 11:29 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Welcome, and good luck! You'll find lots of support here and on the VSG board (it's undoubtedly the most active on OH these days). Knowing lots of people who have had the band and a few who have had the sleeve, I think your doc is steering you in the right direction.  ;-)

lynnc99
on 9/28/15 12:16 pm

Welcome! OH was a HUGE help to me as I approached and researched surgery 6-plus years ago. You will find all sorts of information, and even friends, here!

MsBatt
on 9/30/15 2:45 am

With a BMI of 66, you need to also be researching a form of WLS called the Duodenal Switch. The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, especially for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. The DS has a Sleeved stomach, plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of the RNY/gastric bypass. It's the Big Dog Daddy of WLS.

I suspect your current surgeon doesn't do the DS, and he's recommending the Sleeve instead because that's half of a DS and it's the easiest thing to revise to a DS later on, if you don't lose enough weight or have significant regain. Now, I'm NOT telling you that YOU can't be completely successful with the Sleeve alone, but statistically your odds are much better with the complete DS. 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 9/30/15 2:27 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

This is a good point.  (My surgeon does not even do the lap band because it only ends up being a short term solution). 

Sharon

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 9/30/15 2:32 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Here is a website with a short video of things to consider when chosing the type of surgery:

http://drmatthewweiner.com/how-to-choose-the-right-bariatric-weight-loss-surgery/

Best of luck,

Sharon