Severe Heartburn 10 years after Gastric Bypass Surgery

lisap1972
on 9/29/15 5:34 pm

Has anyone experienced severe frequent heartburn 10 years after having gastric bypass surgery.  Initial tests from a gastroenterologist have told me this happens in 2 out of 100 people who had the surgery.  They are telling me I will need a revision to resolve.  Unfortunately my insurance doesn't pay for the surgery NOR will I be able to take this much time off work.  I have tried over the counter and prescription medications, changing my diet, etc. and nothing helps.  Can anyone let me know if they have experienced this and how they are handling.  Thanks!!! 

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/29/15 10:01 pm

I have reflux. But I manage mine with 1 Omeprozole per day. Plus food elimination, plus probiotics plus..

I also avoid foods I am allergic to, avoid foods that irritate my pouch..treat my SIBO (Google that) ., and make sure that my food moves well.. So I don't constipated. Constipation, low motility = has reflux.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MsBatt
on 9/30/15 3:06 am

What do they say is the CAUSE of your heartburn? Did they say you have a hiatal hernia? What sort of revision are they proposing to do to fix your heartburn?

If you have a hiatal hernia, your insurance should pay to have it repaired---that's not considered WLS, nor a revision to previous WLS. Also, recovery from a hernia repair doesn't usually require much time off, unless you have a very physical job.

lisap1972
on 9/30/15 5:23 pm

A gastroenterologist found nothing after an endoscopy (hernia or ulcer).  He then referred to a gastric bypass surgeon who said this happens in 2 of 100 patients.  A side pouch??? forms where stomach acid sits...the endoscopy also showed that sutures were left in my pouch...

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/30/15 9:12 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Have you spoken with a bariatric surgeon about this, not just a gastroenterologist? If you're not in touch with your old surgeon, it may be helpful to find a different one and get a second opinion.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

NYMom222
on 9/30/15 7:51 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I've been doing some research as I appear now to have GERD and never had it before WLS. It appears there is something called Bile reflux that anyone who is missing a pyloric valve or has a damaged one can get. The literature says "including those with gastric bypass surgery'. I don't know that it changes anything, because the symptoms are basically the same. It just made more sense to me, because RNY was supposed to help GERD not give it to you... so for me it may be Bile reflux not GERD.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save