Please DO NOT listen when people tell you that yo look sick!!!!

Lorrainecma
on 9/28/15 8:00 am

Unless it is your doctor, or your labs are off, or you just feel bad and think that you look bad than do not listen!!! 

I did, started adding carbs back in so that I would stop the weight loss and gain a few pounds back.

I can look back now, and I wish that I hadnt listened!!!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/28/15 9:20 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If others are telling you that you look "too thin" or "sickly," then yeah, you may not want to listen. People who've only seen us fat often don't know what to make of the change.

That said, you MIGHT want to listen to the people who see you often (family, coworkers, etc.) who think that something looks "off." Sometimes we don't pay attention or deliberately ignore things-- for example, when you're coming down with a cold, but you're in denial because there's a lot to do at work.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

pammiv
on 9/28/15 1:14 pm

THANK YOU for posting this!  I have a friendly co-worker who keeps saying "how are you feeling?"  I have told her I am fine and feel great.  She keeps pulling me aside at work and telling me I need to eat more.  As I was leaving work Friday, she told me in front of a few people to "eat a plate of pasta tonight".  Now this person does not know I have had WLS but I am not sure if it would even matter.  I feel great and am still 3lbs to goal weight - I can only assume it is people's reaction to see me at a normal weight.  I don't get these comments from people who never saw the old me.  

RNY December 17, 2014 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Grim_Traveller
on 9/28/15 5:29 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Great advice. Too many people face this same issue.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 9/30/15 2:24 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Totally agree to not listen to people who are telling you to eat just because you used to you being heavier - but some valid observations might be worthwhile to listen to - are you taking all the vitamins everyday, drinking enough.... 

Also, are you wearing clothes that fit, or are they baggy?  Do you need a new haircut or some color?  Have you been using face cream to counter the weight loss?  Is it time for a total make-over?

All of these are good ways to celebrate!

Sharon

Lorrainecma
on 10/1/15 2:06 pm

I can agree that there may be instances that listening is appropriate, but I am thinking more times than not................not so much. Sometimes people either are so used to seeing you heavy, or they are just not happy that you are doing so well.