Shouldn't be frustrated

DHeidi
on 9/25/15 3:27 pm

Hello,

I know that I shouldn't be frustrated. But......

I am 7 weeks post-op as of this coming Monday (09/28). My pre-op weight was 188 and my weight on the day of surgery was 182.

At my 2 week visit (really it was almost 3 weeks) - I was down 12 pounds from the day of surgery and 18 pounds from the "pre surgery" period (the two weeks prior to surgery). However, since then I've been bouncing back and forth between 166 and 169.

I really thought I'd lose more than that quicker. I know that I've read several places that people with a lower BMI take longer to lose.

Then - on top of that, my pants are very baggy around my thighs and backside, but my waist size hasn't changed at all. darned body.

The reason I had the surgery was due to my diabetes and the hope of curing it and getting off of my meds. The doctor took me off of all the diabetes meds except for the Januvia which is a combination of Janumet and Metformin. Right about week six, my morning blood sugars dropped drastically and were pretty much normal. (they started out being between 170 and 180, then on Thursday of week 6 hit 146, on Friday of week 6 they were 130 and on Saturday they were 91). BUT......... I didn't take my pills over the weekend and then started adding in more foods - now it's back up to between 160 and 180. So - maybe I won't ever get off theses meds after all.

I'm trying hard to be good, but in the evenings I get much hungrier than the rest of the day. Probably because I'm at home. I'm trying to be very consentience about my "snacking" and trying to snack on things that are either sugar free or my pickles (zero calories). So it's frustrating to feel like I'm just not making progress. I've only gone over the 1000 calories 1 day since the surgery, so it isn't like I'm eating a bunch either.

Of course, getting in to the gym would help, but last weekend I went at 8 pm and couldn't go to sleep until 3am. It's all I can do to get out of bed in time to make it to work, so going in the morning isn't going to happen.

Just frustrated in general...........

I know it will get better and my body will continue to change and some day, I will be able to look in the mirror and be happy with what I see. I just have a hard time being patient. But I have to remember that the 40 pounds I had previously lost to get down to 188 wasn't lost easily either. It took work.

Grim_Traveller
on 9/25/15 5:55 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

If your blood sugars are spiking once you fell off the food wagon, you are eating too many carbs. It could also be why your weight loss has been stalling.

This is the best time to address eating issues, If you are wandering that far from your eating plan at 7 weeks, it is going to be much, much harder down the line.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

hollykim
on 9/25/15 7:19 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 25, 2015 at 3:27 PM Pacific Time, DHeidi wrote:

Hello,

I know that I shouldn't be frustrated. But......

I am 7 weeks post-op as of this coming Monday (09/28). My pre-op weight was 188 and my weight on the day of surgery was 182.

At my 2 week visit (really it was almost 3 weeks) - I was down 12 pounds from the day of surgery and 18 pounds from the "pre surgery" period (the two weeks prior to surgery). However, since then I've been bouncing back and forth between 166 and 169.

I really thought I'd lose more than that quicker. I know that I've read several places that people with a lower BMI take longer to lose.

Then - on top of that, my pants are very baggy around my thighs and backside, but my waist size hasn't changed at all. darned body.

The reason I had the surgery was due to my diabetes and the hope of curing it and getting off of my meds. The doctor took me off of all the diabetes meds except for the Januvia which is a combination of Janumet and Metformin. Right about week six, my morning blood sugars dropped drastically and were pretty much normal. (they started out being between 170 and 180, then on Thursday of week 6 hit 146, on Friday of week 6 they were 130 and on Saturday they were 91). BUT......... I didn't take my pills over the weekend and then started adding in more foods - now it's back up to between 160 and 180. So - maybe I won't ever get off theses meds after all.

I'm trying hard to be good, but in the evenings I get much hungrier than the rest of the day. Probably because I'm at home. I'm trying to be very consentience about my "snacking" and trying to snack on things that are either sugar free or my pickles (zero calories). So it's frustrating to feel like I'm just not making progress. I've only gone over the 1000 calories 1 day since the surgery, so it isn't like I'm eating a bunch either.

Of course, getting in to the gym would help, but last weekend I went at 8 pm and couldn't go to sleep until 3am. It's all I can do to get out of bed in time to make it to work, so going in the morning isn't going to happen.

Just frustrated in general...........

I know it will get better and my body will continue to change and some day, I will be able to look in the mirror and be happy with what I see. I just have a hard time being patient. But I have to remember that the 40 pounds I had previously lost to get down to 188 wasn't lost easily either. It took work.

1000 calories is a maintenance amount for most of us. I would drop my calories to 500-700 and cut out all carbs,eating only dense protein and leafy green and non carby Vegas. 

Pare you getting 64+ oz of liquid a day? Dehydration can mimic hunger.

DHeidi
on 9/26/15 11:54 am

I am working hard to get the 64 ounces in - I actually drink more in the evening thinking that may help. I have to literally hold my water bottle in my hand while at work and make it a conscience thought to keep drinking because I'll get involved and pretty soon it's noon and I'm still on my first bottle of water.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 9/26/15 8:50 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

When you are cleared to lift weights you  may want to start weight training with a trainer to replace lost muscle mass.  I only weight lift once a week with the Super Slow program (search and see if there is a place near you, they usually give a free session to see if you like it).  Also, check the video from Dr. Weiner to see what is reasonable

http://drmatthewweiner.com/how-much-weight-will-i-lose-after-bariatric-surgery/

He explains the factors for weight loss and gives a perspective you may find helpful.

I have a question - what if the surgery makes it possible for you to sanely maintain at 166-169 for the rest of your life? 

Sharon

DHeidi
on 9/26/15 11:31 am

I was cleared to workout at 3 weeks and strength train. Unfortunately it's all I can do to get out of bed in the morning in time for work and going in the evening has been a challenge. I'm hoping to get my energy back soon. I used to go to the gym around 5am every morning - I just don't have the energy now. Last weekend - I went at 8 pm one night and ended up not going to bed until after 3am. Not something I want to do on a weeknight.

DHeidi
on 9/26/15 11:51 am

I have not been comfortable with my weight since I put it on. I always struggled to put weight on until I was 25 and put on 33 pounds in 3 months and kept going from there. They told me my metabolism had changed. Without changing my activity level or my eating - I went from 120 to 220 in about 9 months.

I look in the mirror and don't like what I see. I've just never been able to " be content" with my weight. 

I couldn't buy clothes in the Jr. Department until 9th grade and a lot of times even those had to be adjusted in either the length or waist.

it took me 2 kids to get up to 120 pounds and a size 6. So while it hasn't been a life long struggle like it is with some - going from one extreme to the other is challenging mentally.

With a lot of hard work I managed to lose 40 pounds and keep it off - but it's still frustrating.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/1/15 6:47 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

It can be a difficult issue, no matter which way you approach it from.  I now think of it as 'a delicate balance' rather than 'a constant struggle.'

I watch WL videos by Dr. Weiner in Michigan and he suggests a WLS goal of 'having a healthy relationship with food and your body,' rather than a goal weight alone.  This has helped me.  His videos are available at:

http://drmatthewweiner.com/surgical-weight-loss-video/

Sharon

Tracy D.
on 9/29/15 1:08 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

1000 calories per day at 7 weeks post-op is a lot...I never got that high until I lost all my excess weight.  Yes, you're a lightweight and will lose slower now that you're closer to goal but you may also have to lower your calories to get there. 

If you're getting in that many calories per day I would want to know how many carbs you're getting in per day and what the source is of those carbs - crackers? fruit?  I'm diabetic and those things will make my blood sugar go through the roof now that I'm not on medication.  

High blood sugars can absolutely prevent your body from releasing the fat/weight so do whatever is needed to get those under control.  Make sure you are keeping carbs under 40 grams per day and stay away from all fruit, sugar and white flour for now.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

M_reeds
on 10/6/15 7:06 am

There is a tea that can help you in maintaining your sugar and help you with weight loss, Matcha green tea powder is very beneficial to people who would maintain their sugar level, cholesterol and fast result for weight loss.