I am approx 7 weeks out of surgery...Does it ever stop hurting?

lovestotakepics
on 9/25/15 12:43 pm - Atlanta, GA

If it hurts now when I eat bread, will it always hurt?  Sometimes I wake up and Feel like I have swallowed an apple....also feel the urge to burp a lot, why??

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/25/15 1:56 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Is bread on your surgeon's post-op eating plan?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MickeyDee
on 9/25/15 2:40 pm

Bread, pasta, rice or potatoes shouldn't be on your menu.  These foods turn into sugar and are stored as fat in your body.  You do not need these foods in your life.

I ate some bread once;  it balled up and felt like a heart attack.  I eat very little bread to this day.

Focus on protein first.

TexasTerritory
on 9/25/15 3:41 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I'm two + years out and I don't eat bread. Too many carbs.

Joemac9408
on 9/25/15 4:14 pm - Staten Island, NY
RNY on 02/04/15 with

Like the others said I wouldn't eat carbs at this point if I were you but if you're gonna eat bread I would toast it.  I'm below my goal weight so I added in some carbs and I'll have a slice of toast with almond butter every couple of days for breakfast.  

Surgery date: 2/4/15

Highest weight: 315. Pre-op diet weight: 289.  Surgery weight: 260.  Current weight: 138  Goal weight: 160 

Laura in Texas
on 9/25/15 4:44 pm

SMITH: Doctor, it hurts when I do this.
DALE: Don't do that.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/25/15 4:49 pm - OH

I am not surprised that bread hurts at 7 weeks out.  As the otehrs have said, that is the LAST thing you should be eating.  No one can tell you if it will always hurt because it is different for different people.  For some people, bread and pasta always causes discomfort, while for others it did when they first tried it but did not later on.  For some, it never bothered us at all (but most of us didn't try it at less than 2 months out), so don't know if it would have hurt early on.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Tracy D.
on 9/29/15 1:21 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Did I read this right?  You're only 7 weeks out??  Oh honey, please, please, please do NOT eat bread!  Even if it's on your surgeon's plan - listen to the voice of experience here!  My dumb surgeon had bread on his food plan too - if it was well toasted.  Screw that!  I tried to eat half a piece of toast and promptly threw up for the first time.  

I couldn't eat any kind of bread without serious pain or issues for at least a year and I still rarely eat it.  It takes up WAY too much room in my stomach and tends to expand (so does pasta - absolutely cannot do pasta at all).  

It also has a lot of carbs and will slow your weight loss down at this point and may trigger carb-cravings in you.  Just stay away from it now - your body is trying to tell you that it can't handle it.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

poplargreys
on 9/29/15 6:07 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I'm 7 *months* out and even one bite of bread is too many, not just because of the discomfort it causes, but because there is nothing worthwhile nutritionally in bread at this stage in the game. Save your room for protein and non-starchy vegetables.

MsBatt
on 9/30/15 2:37 am

Well, I think it's been well-established that you shouldn't be eating bread. Do OTHER things hurt?