Care after Surgery

eyestowardthefuture
on 9/22/15 9:28 am

I am 63 and live alone.   I will be having RNY Gastric Bypass in a few weeks.  I am concerned about the recovery time at home without someone being there with me. 

Do I need to have a visiting nurse come in?

Do I need to stay in a rehab unit for the first few days.

Any feedback on after surgery home care would be appreciated.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/22/15 11:44 am
RNY on 08/05/19

For the first few days post-op, I basically slept the whole time. My mom stayed with me for a few days, and it was helpful to have someone to bring me things, but I imagine you'd be fine if you get yourself set up in advance-- keep medicine within reach, have things like shakes and broth and water in a place that's easy to get to, and make sure you have your cell phone with you (on a nightstand or in a pocket) in case you need help.

Do you have someone like a neighbor or a friend who you could have "on call" in case of an emergency? That way, if you need something from the pharmacy or there's another emergency like a fall, they could come and help out?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

cheapskate
on 9/22/15 12:14 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

You need someone to drive you home. But,honestly, I stopped at Walmart to shop on my way home.

TexasLady52
on 9/22/15 12:42 pm
Revision on 06/10/14

I was 61 when I had my surgery.  My husband was at work and I did fine.  I would need help every once and awhile with pulling me up out of a chair, but the more you move around...the stronger you will get and won't need help.  Like someone said...have a good stock of protein drinks, broth, sugar free popsicles and SF jello.....you will do fine.

Tracy D.
on 9/22/15 12:58 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My program required me to stay in the hospital for two nights.  If that wasn't the case I probably would have appreciated someone with me the first night home.  But after getting released I didn't need any help, even though my husband was home with me.  

What you'll need also depends on whether your surgery will be "open" or laparoscopic.  An open surgery is going to require a lot more rehab time and care once you get home.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/22/15 2:17 pm

It may depends on your weight at the time of surgery, your fitness level (how mobile you are before surgery) and how your house is set up. 
I was app 100 lbs overweight, but in rather good physical shape (active before my RNY) and I didn't anyone with me on day 3-4 after the surgery. I spent 2 nights in the hospital,a dn I felt I needed someone there with me... helping me get up from the  bed, to walk or use the bathroom..

Once at home...I moved slowly - but I was not in major pain and I was OK to be home by myself.  I was driving within 10 days post op. 

But for 2-3 weeks I had to sleep in my recliner.. getting in and out of bed was painful... 

I did not need help to bathe or use the bathroom..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

RNY0615
on 9/22/15 4:23 pm

I live alone and was alone once I got home from the hospital.  I didn't need help with anything.  I was prepared and had gone shopping for everything I would want/need before.  I couldn't drive for about a week,  or at least I didn't feel comfortable trying,  but I was able to shower and get up and stuff like that.