Newbie wanting to learn and be aware before hand.

mamasplace
on 9/21/15 5:17 pm

Hi ,

looking to find info on what I have to go thru after going to my referral appointment the 25th Sept. Have heard so many different things, so thought I would go straight to the source . I know I have to go to nutritional counseling  and pay for it, maybe sleep study even tho I have no problems with that area. x-rays on lungs.

How long does the nutritional counseling take or last ?

My main question is after I have completed all the above , how long after is surgery done ?

Thank you for the info you can supply .

alouisa63
on 9/21/15 6:42 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Every program is different in what they want and  every nutritional program is different.  For me, once I got all my pre surgry clearances out of the way and the paperwork was submitted to the insurance company, I got my insurance approval in 3 days and surgery was scheduled 3 weeks later (it could have been sooner but I couldn't get off work).

Best suggestion is to ask someone in the doctors office.  They will be able to tell you how fast things move :)   Good luck!

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

mamasplace
on 9/22/15 10:58 am

Thank you so much for the info .

hollykim
on 9/21/15 8:28 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 21, 2015 at 5:17 PM Pacific Time, mamasplace wrote:

Hi ,

looking to find info on what I have to go thru after going to my referral appointment the 25th Sept. Have heard so many different things, so thought I would go straight to the source . I know I have to go to nutritional counseling  and pay for it, maybe sleep study even tho I have no problems with that area. x-rays on lungs.

How long does the nutritional counseling take or last ?

My main question is after I have completed all the above , how long after is surgery done ?

Thank you for the info you can supply .

actually,you have not come straight to the source. Your insurance company is the source. I would flip the insurance card over,call the number there and ask them.

mamasplace
on 9/22/15 10:59 am

Thank you I will be doing that today !!

lynnc99
on 9/21/15 9:18 pm

It's not always fast. I was (get ready for it) over 18 months from first consult to surgery date. Once the insurance company was "happy" my doc got me in quickly - she knew I was at the end of my rope!

Here is the list of what I had to have done pre op to satisfy insurance requirements:

1. Letter from my primary care doc stating I was a good candidate for surgery

2. Written proof I had attended 3 support group meetings.

3. Written proof of participation in 6 month medically supervised weight loss program (via our local hospital)

4. Sleep study

5. Psychological evaluation

6. Stress test and cardiac consult

7. Test for H Pylori - which was positive and required antibiotics, and a gastroenterology consult

8. Log of 2 years' efforts to lose weight and results

9. Medical history showing increasing blood pressure

There was probably more to be honest. Deal directly with insurance - find one person and talk to them every time. And get copies of EVERYTHING for your own files. 

mamasplace
on 9/22/15 11:00 am

My goodness, that is a truly LONG time !!!  I need to get things together !! Thanks

NYMom222
on 9/22/15 7:38 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Not everyone is that long, that si why talking to your insurance company and your Doctor's office. They both may have requirements. I was 3 months from Doc's seminar to surgery.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

mamasplace
on 9/22/15 10:30 pm

Thank you , I live in Wa. State and have so many varying answers. Where I live it seems that every year we have to find new insurance because we lose the ones we have in the county.