GERD and WLS

gwenaj
on 9/21/15 3:46 pm

Thank you so much :-)

(deactivated member)
on 9/21/15 3:10 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I had planned on VSG for 3 years before my doc told me it would be a bad fit with my pre-existing GERD. I was on twice-daily Prilosec and still nauseous all the time from acid (I never had heartburn; nausea was my only symptom). I haven't had a single episode since my RNY almost 5 months ago, and I couldn't be happier that my doc steered me in the right direction.

My husband had VSG 2 weeks after my RNY. He has some GERD now (he had none pre-op), but other than that, our recoveries have been identical.

gwenaj
on 9/21/15 3:16 pm

Thank you so much for your input!!  I also suffer from Nausea more than heartburn so I hear you loud and clear...Glad you are feeling well :-)

HKT53
on 9/21/15 3:21 pm - Toronto, Canada

I am another on this long list. 25 years ago had the vertical sleeve gatric stapling. Suffered lots with gerd to a point that for two years could only drink my foods. On July 10th last, I had the RNY ( strongly advised by surgeon) and I have not had any acid reflux, vomitting or problems digesting since this fix. I am finally free. I can eat food again and Lay flat when I sleep.

Follow the forums for RNY, DS and vertical sleeves to get a better picture of what you want and need.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

gwenaj
on 9/21/15 3:49 pm

So happy to know you are more comfortable now!!  Thank you for sharing, I will continue my research... :-)

Patrice
(PatriceMarieV1 on...

on 9/21/15 8:48 pm
RNY on 03/11/15

I really wanted the sleeve and was even cleared to get it after an endoscopy. However, my doc strongly recommended RNY instead due to my history of GERD. (I used to eat tums like candy and take Zantac or Prilosec all the time.  It was bad!) I reluctantly decided to go for the RNY and had a hiatal hernia repaired during surgery.  It has CURED my reflux. I have not had a single episode of reflux. In some ways, this has been even  better than the actual weight loss.

In hindsight, I think I would have had real problems w/ reflux and the sleeve. I probably would have had a hard time getting all of my water in due to reflux and would have ended up sick and dehydrated (and in pain from reflux.) I am so happy I went with the RNY.

gwenaj
on 9/21/15 8:57 pm

Thank you for sharing....very happy to hear that you made the right decision for yourself :-)

Eggface
on 9/21/15 9:07 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

I had severe GERD and sleep apnea (a potentially very deadly combo) and those along with high bp and a few other maladies were the reasons I had weight loss surgery. All of my conditions including GERD were resolved post-op. 

I am grateful beyond words for that. Hope you will have a similar outcome.

Best wishes to you! ~Shelly

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

gwenaj
on 9/21/15 9:14 pm

Thank you!!  Happy that you are doing well :-)

Solstice
on 9/26/15 6:00 am
RNY on 11/27/14

I had GERD and sleep apnea before my RNY in Nov 24. He fixed a hiatus hernia when he was in there (unplanned).

I asked my surgeon if I should keep taking my PPI, (Pariet at the time). He said I shouldn't need to...so I stopped. Not sure is this contributed, but I developed and ulcer and had to have emergency surgery 4 montgs to the day because of peritonitis. So, don't mean to scare you, but some surgeons recommend staying on a PPI for 6 months after, and apparently some don't. Mine did not. Could have just been me and my acid!

Solstice