Pre-Surgery...anyone else just starting out?

dmb1024
on 9/17/15 5:57 am
RNY on 04/11/16

I am just starting out, I will have my first month weight check next week! I am nervous I wont lose enough weight in my first month. The first 2 weeks were tough on me, I am finally getting on track now and plan to do much better here on out. How much weight would the nutritionist be happy with seeing lost??? I know everyone is different.

I just went to my first appointment with my doctor this week, I was there for 2 hours Should I start making all my testing appointments now?? I am on a 6 month diet plan.

Hoping to find some people to talk to through out this journey, I don't really have anyone that I can talk to that has been though or is going through this!

MsBatt
on 9/17/15 8:15 am

Have you researched the Big Three (VSG/Sleeve, RNY/gastric bypass, and DS/duodenal switch) forms of WLS, and decided which one is best for you? That's really what you need to be doing during this enforced waiting period.

I wouldn't schedule testing just yet. You'll want those tests done closer to surgery time.

dmb1024
on 9/17/15 8:27 am
RNY on 04/11/16

Yes, I have already done that a while ago, and discussed with all the doctors that I saw earlier this week. I want to get the RNY. I was looking at my papers and it says to schedule as soon as possible? I did schedule my Gyno visit and they cant even take me until late November, so I am just afraid if I don't call for appointments, I might not get everything done within the 6 months.

Heather P.
on 9/17/15 2:06 am, edited 9/17/15 2:06 am

I am also just starting out.  I had my first appt with nutritionist last month and I go in for my 2nd appt on Sept 23rd.  I am very nervous and anxious! My papers say to schedule the psych eval after my 2nd NUT appt. then everything else is closer to the surgery date.  I know the next 6 months is going to drag but I need this 6 months to get my eating under control.

dmb1024
on 9/17/15 9:46 am
RNY on 04/11/16

My second appt is on Sept 24th!! How did you do this month? I am VERY nervous, too! I also need the 6 months because I want to lose some weight to make the surgery and recovery a little easier. At the bottom of my paper it says "Please schedule ALL testing as soon as possible Including Blood Work EXCEPT FOR PCP CLEARANCE"

Good luck to you!

Heather P.
on 9/17/15 11:09 am

I did ok, my NUT gave me a list of 13 things to work on for the next 6 mo and she told me to pick a couple every month.  This month I chose to have protein at EVERY meal and to take 30 minutes to eat each  meal.  This next month I am going to try to cut out sugar (that will be the hardest one for me).  She told me not to worry about losing a lot of weight right now, just not to gain weight.

Lots2gainbylosing808
on 9/17/15 2:36 pm

Its all going to be worth it. I am done with all my testing, evals, and nutrition stuff. I'm waiting for my insurance to authorize the procedure then I have a pre-op consult, get clearance from my PCP, then one on one with my Surgeon then I'll have my sleeve done! Be good to yourself. I made the mistake of eating everything I thought I wouldn't be able to eat again.... gained 10 pounds and wasted 2 months of planning. I also slipped once on quitting smoking. I haven't had a cigarette since May 5th and I have lost 25 pounds in about a month and a half. Of course my Surgeon had to make me cry first but it was my fault and I so needed a scolding to get my butt in gear. You will do great!!! Stick to it and cut out whites (bread, pasta, rice, taters) it will make a big difference. Oh, and if you're doing salads... do spinach instead of lettuce (less bitter). Good luck!!

dmb1024
on 9/17/15 3:55 pm
RNY on 04/11/16

Congrats on not smoking! Be proud of yourself for that! I am afraid if I even gain once I'm done! Thanks for all the info and tips I really appreciate it! Good luck to you! Keep me updated if you want!!