Bypass Vs band

naynay2316
on 9/20/15 3:31 pm

Hi Nic

No you didn't sound harsh I value your advice. I will do some more digging! !

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/20/15 10:36 pm

I think you should keep researching.

No, the sleeve isn't more "invasive", as your stomach will be cut in either surgery, but with bypass, you will also have alterations in intestines as well.

Having the stomach cut but the remnant stomach left hanging out in your abdomen has it's own set of potential problems, such as cancers may not be easily scoped or ulcers that the medication can't reach.

With RNY, you will no longer be making use of your own pyloric valve which greatly increases the incidence of dumping, and reactive hypoglycemia. The Sleeve retains your own pyloric valve. You will also need to take more vitamins with RNY because of the changes made to the intestines. Despite these differences, the weight loss is statistically similar for both surgeries. 

The only surgery that is statistically better at weight loss, weight maintenance and resolving co-morbidities (especially type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol) is the DS, which also preserves your own pyloric valve, but has different malabsorption than RNY, so you may have to take even more vitamins than with bypass. I figured if I was going to need to take vitamins, I wanted the better stats on everything, without the increased risk of dumping or reactive hypoglycemia and possible issues with remnant stomach or stomal ulcers.

You really do need to understand the differences and think about what it would mean for you. Research beforehand is much easier than looking for a revision after the fact. I read of folks looking to revise to DS every day, and while the original WLS is no walk in the park, the revision from RNY (bypass) to DS is much higher risk than a virgin surgery, if it can be done at all, and even if it could, there are  only about 3 capable surgeons I'd trust with that particular revision surgery in the country. 

Think twice. Cut once.