Bypass Vs band

losing_the_band
on 9/13/15 11:22 pm
Revision on 08/27/15

I just had a band-to-bypass revision a couple of weeks ago, so my opinion would be to go with the bypass.  I had great success with the band for the first year, but that was because my band was super-tight (that was what was recommended back then).  It eventually caused uncontrollable acid reflux and a massive slip, which led to a band replacement in 2011.  I was never able to work the 2nd one very well, couldn't reach a workable restriction, etc.  It was either too tight or too loose, and eventually, it got to the point where I couldn't tolerate any fluid in the band at all.  So far, the bypass has been great.  Granted, it's only been a couple of weeks, but I've already lost 14 of the 80 pounds I want to lose, and it's been SO much easier than the band.  I'm on solid food now, and have been able to tolerate everything I've tried so far, which is far better than how it was with the band.  With the band, I could tolerate an item one day and not tolerate it another, leading to painful episodes of regurgitation and acid reflux.

Lap-Band 2007

Lap-Band Replaced 2011

APPROVED for revision to RNY! Awaiting surgery date!

naynay2316
on 9/14/15 10:33 am

Thanks guys.

That really has been enjoyable reading I appreciate all of the comments. 

I will read up more of the sleeve and then decide but after almost 8 months of reading everyday I think the bypass could be what I need. 

I'll keep you all posted 

thinagain07
on 9/18/15 3:22 pm

I had the same issue with the band, could eat something one day and not the next, drove me crazy. Banded from 2006-2013, lost all my weight but  terrible GERD, gastroparesis, referred shoulder pain, PBing. I maintained for 3 years until the problems set in and then gained 40 lbs. before removal and now 20 more lbs., back at starting weight. Worse than that I am embarrassed, sad, depressed and ashamed. Not sure if I should do bypass, I am now over 60. How did you handle the protein shakes? Thanks

Nic M
on 9/18/15 8:46 pm

That referred left shoulder pain is so common with banding. I'm so sorry you went through all of this, as well. I understand. I also regained all the weight I lost while banded and also had terrible complications. 

Are you concerned that you'd have to have protein shakes if you had bypass done? If I'm not mistaken, that's just a short term thing... you wouldn't have to drink them indefinitely. You'd have to make sure you took your supplements and get the allotted protein.

You have no reason to feel embarrassed or ashamed. The band fails most people. You did your best. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

losing_the_band
on 9/18/15 2:45 pm, edited 9/18/15 2:46 pm
Revision on 08/27/15

I can handle the protein shakes fine.  I drink the Premier Protein shakes that I get at Costco.  Although, they are getting a little old, so I might have to find some others that are decent, just to mix things up a little.  My doctor requires at least 40g of protein a day via shakes for the first year after surgery, so I need to get some variety in my regimen to avoid going bonkers.

So far, a little over three weeks out, this has been so much easier than the band.  I've had one occasion where I slimed a bit, but I don't know if that was because the chicken I ate was too dry, or because I ate too quickly or the bites were too big.  But even that was so much easier than with the band, because there was no pain.  For the past 8+ years with the band, I've been afraid to vomit, get the flu, etc., since vomiting was a very uncomfortable experience for me (having to force things up through the band).  After that experience, I was actually happy because I realized that I wasn't going to possibly cause myself damage by getting sick, which means that I can actually go get a flu shot this year and not worry about getting sick from it!

Lap-Band 2007

Lap-Band Replaced 2011

APPROVED for revision to RNY! Awaiting surgery date!

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/20/15 2:39 am

In my NSHO, your research has missed the two best options - the sleeve and the DS. Best to do the learning before hand, rather than after and trying to find out if revisions are possible. 

naynay2316
on 9/20/15 10:57 am

Thanks for the message. I have been researching but was a oiling the sleeve as I felt it was more evasive than the bypass

Nic M
on 9/20/15 11:41 am

When a surgery is described as "more invasive" (not evasive,) it simply means that the surgery itself is more complex. For instance, the band is described as "less invasive" because there is no cutting of organs. However, it's still a foreign body and usually requires multiple "corrective" surgeries, ending in removal in most cases. 

The sleeve has been done for years in cancer patients. It's not more invasive than the bypass. They're all major surgeries and it's important to choose the one that best suits your lifestyle. The sleeve will provide restriction without malabsorption.   I know you said that you've researched, but I'm not sure you're fully understanding the surgeries. You cannot make a fully informed decision without knowing all the options available and how they affect the body. I'd recommend that you keep researching before making any final decision. Good luck. I know it's a lot to take in. 

naynay2316
on 9/20/15 12:50 pm

Thanks Nic.

I have my next appointment in December so I've more time  I have researched and didn't like the thought of losing half my stomach  I understand I wouldn't need vitamin supplements in as much depth as I would with the bypass. Your right it is a lot to take in

Nic M
on 9/20/15 12:53 pm

I hope my words didn't sound harsh because that wasn't my intention. But man oh man, it's just such a huge decision and it is life changing. I don't want you to have any regrets whatsoever. I think back to when I was having the band done and I thought, "Well, what's the worst that could happen? If it doesn't work, I'll just have it removed." I had NO idea how much damage it would cause and how I'd be paying for it years after removal. I hate to see anyone experience the same thing.