Bypass Vs band

naynay2316
on 9/13/15 6:30 am

Not sure what to do. 

Scared to chose one type of surgery over the other. I am 350lb so have alot to lose does that mean I should go with the bypass? 

I have completed 6 months of weight management waiting for the final meeting with psych and consultant before the decision 

Any thoughts? 

Nic M
on 9/13/15 9:17 am

You might want to read the revisions forum to help your research. More lapbands are being taken out than put in. Statistically speaking, it's the worst choice. 

There are also other WLS choices: VSG and DS to research. It's not a matter of Band or Bypass. Maybe one of the other options might suit your lifestyle better?

I'd recommend doing as much research as you can possibly stomach before making a decision. It's important to choose wisely since a lot of insurance carriers are implementing a "One WLS per lifetime" policy. If you choose the band, you will most likely eventually need to have it removed as it's not considered a "lifetime product." So you want to include that in your decision making. You might end up having to pay for band removal out of pocket, as well, since more insurance companies are refusing. (And the band has a tendency to cause a lot of complications, even though it's advertised as being "less invasive." ) 

Good luck. I hope all goes well for you. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

naynay2316
on 9/13/15 9:33 am

Thanks Nic

I've been researching for 7 months almost everyday.  Still confused. I think it will be the bypass.

I'm just worried. 

Did you have surgery? If so what did you have etc?

I live in the UK I have been on 6 months weight management and they are putting me through to the next and final stage before they make the decision. I know this is what I need for the future. 

Thanks for the response I am new to this forum and it is the first response I've had. 

Nic M
on 9/13/15 10:37 am

I had the band in 2003 and had it removed in an emergency surgery in 2005. It caused severe damage to my diaphragm and Vagus nerve system... still have the reminders to this day, unfortunately.

It's normal to feel worried. It's a very big decision, most definitely.

There really is a lot of good info on the Revisions forum here. It might seem like things you don't really need to know in order to make your choice, but it's really important to see what hasn't worked for people... it might be the most important part of making a choice, actually. Of course everyone's not the same and our bodies react differently, but in some instances, we're very alike. You'll see a recurring theme among the threads. It's a good way to help hone your decision, anyway.

Good luck! I'm sure others will chime in.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

naynay2316
on 9/13/15 11:08 am

Thanks Nic I'll check it out

SKmammabear
on 9/13/15 12:29 pm

I started out at 355 and upon my research, I found that a lot of the bands fail which is why so many surgeons are not doing them anymore.  My issue was not knowing which actual surgery I should have.  I was on the fence between the sleeve and the DS (duodenal switch).  My hubby wanted me to do the sleeve and I was leaning toward the DS.  I was open and talked with my surgeon on which one HE thought I would have the greatest success with and he said the DS.  That's what I had and have not looked back.  Talk openly with your surgeon and YOUR needs for what you want out of this.  The total decision will be up to you, but he can give you guidance.  Best of luck on your journey!  It's the best thing I have ever done for myself!

naynay2316
on 9/13/15 1:43 pm

Thanks for the info.

I have said from the beginning about wanting the bypass my hubby and mum are the only two people that know and they wanted the band as they are scared for me.

I do think the bypass is the best surgery for me and when I have the consultations hopefully I will have all the answers to the questions which keep going around in my head 

How has you journey ended what weight are you now?

Felicity Q.
on 9/13/15 3:59 pm
DS on 09/28/15

Whatever you do, please don't get a lap-band.  Read reports and statistics about the high complication and low success rate.

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/13/15 7:04 pm - OH

The weight loss statistics with the band are abysmal, and the rate of additional surgeries (sometimes more than one) for correcting problems and/or removing the band entirely is VERY high.  I would honestly have my jaw wired shut before I would do a band.  My surgeon told me flat out that I would not lose the 175-200 pounds that I needed to lose with a band (and that she wouldn't do it on someone with so much weight to lose).

I would strongly recommend that you read posts in the Revisions forum as well as on the Lap Band forum.

I would also suggest that you consider the sleeve (VSG).  It is sort of between the band and a gastric bypass (no intestinal bypass but no complications that arise from having a band around your stomach that needs to be adjusted, can slip, can cause permanent damage to your stomach, etc.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Hislady
on 9/13/15 7:34 pm - Vancouver, WA

I had a band for 7 yrs and despite following all the rules for eating I only lost 20 lbs and that was the first year.I had it removed Feb. of 2014 after having it empty for 2 yrs. and it was still causing me horrid pain. I have a fentanyl patch and take oxycodone daily because of arthritis pain yet the band pain came thru all those pain meds and caused terrible pain on a daily basis. I got rid of part of the band pain when it was removed but it gave me gastroparesis or slow stomach emptying which is painful and really messes up your intestines, this will never go away. 

Also the band has a 60% failure rate and can cause very serious damage to your esophagus. I lost 30% of my swallowing ability and it gave me really bad GERD. The GERD is just now starting to settle down some and it has been a year and a half since I had my band removed. I will always have the gastroparesis tho which means I have to eat tiny bites of food and only a little bit at a time, chewed very well till it's mush then I can swallow and hope it goes all the way down. I have to eat tiny meals several times a day and can eat very few if any carbs or it upsets my stomach and gives me terrible intestinal pains, It truly sucks!! I really wouldn't wish a band on my worst enemy, they are that horrible. I am not just some odd case either most folks with bands end up having to get them removed and it can be a terrible fight with the insurance company to even get them to listen to you and very few will pay to remove them or do a revision. Most people end up either having to self pay to get them out or just get  them removed and no revision, then they end up gaining the weight back! It is really a terrible way to have to live life. It nearly killed Nic who wrote above, she was within hours of dying when they finally got it out!! She isn't the only on either I know of at least 6 more people who have come within a few hours of dying because insurance wouldn't pay and the people didn't have the money. When it finally came down to death the surgeons took them out anyway! It is a scary situation to be in!

I would suggest if you don't want the bypass you read up on the gastric sleeve, with that they remove 80% of your stomach. I have a relative who had it done for stomach cancer 20 yrs ago and he is still doing great! It is safer than the bypass I think and at 5 yrs out the weight loss is about the same as with the bypass. You might have to change surgeons if yours only does bands and bypasses. Personally I wouldn't go to any surgeon who puts in bands, to me that is unethical. Even the Mayo Clinic o9ne of the finest hospitals in the country no longer puts bands in because of their horrible performance for so many people. I wish you good luck, weight loss surgery can be wonderful tool and help for losing weight but the band is just not good for anyone!!