What did your years overweight and struggles since teach you ?

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/15 6:02 am

Theres this saying that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger .  Do you like me find that when you DO get it together post op you're usually very successful ? 

What do you think our years of struggle have taught us?  In my case I think they made me resilient and resourceful - when I got my energy back post op I was DETERMINED to achieve my dreams . 

Please share YOUR story Looking forward to learning  more about our fellow posters 

peachpie
on 9/11/15 6:53 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I hate that saying... "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger"...it gives negativity more power than it deserves (IMO).  I prefer to look at it like-- what didn't kill us never had the power to do so. My two cents...

What have the years of struggle taught me? That no matter how much I pay, whether it be for a trainer, weigh****chers, jenny craig meals, diet pills, etc-- none of it will matter unless its coupled with an intrinsic desire for change/to be healthy. And that's why I made a promise a LONG time ago to not pay anyone another red cent to lose weight/get fit. I know what needs to be done-- I've even done it-- but that intrinsic desire/motivation either wasn't there or didn't stay. What made it different now-- I didn't not like the future I saw for myself and my family being unhealthy. In the past it was more about glamour, smaller clothes and accolades for looking good. It wasn't until I started really looking beyond the physical things to see how *unfit* people were and how it affected them... I just didn't want to be in that category. 

I love the life I have and he accomplishments I've made pre-op, I can honestly say there isn't a goal I set that I haven't achieved thus far (asides from weight loss). Losing weight is enhancing my  sweet spot in life. If I would have attempted this before I got my priorities/head straight (I did attempt- but knew the stars and moon weren't aligning so I dropped it)-- I doubt I'd have been as successful as I am now.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

HKT53
on 9/11/15 7:13 am - Toronto, Canada

Here here, peachiepie. Im with you on your realizations. Ive learned what you learned...only right now i totally feel I am not exercising enough. I am not into toning to look good (im past all that outer beauty stuff) but for the heath aspect. I didnt want to pay one more red cent to trainers or gyms but how does one do it on their own?

i learned that I can discipline myself about food. Why I lived on veggie juices to stay alive for almost two years. Didnt loose more than 40# but now that I had revision, i am good as gold. 

I guess I finally realized that I have a brain, I have had many accomplishments to be absolutely proud of, so if I use my brain for these, I can certainly pass up the munchies, carbs and head hunger. Wow, that only took me 60 years to learn. 

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

peachpie
on 9/11/15 7:47 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Oops- I do pay for my gym membership... so I guess I am paying a "red cent" ...but its Planet fitness-- $10 a month- not over the top by any means. I'm not a lover of exercise-- so I hear ya on questioning if you are doing enough. My focus has been on what I can do that sustainable over the long run. I like the little routine I've got going-- and jog 2-3x's a week, circuit training one day and arc/elliptical trainer another day. 30-40 minutes. I always wondered about those who can put in 2-3 hours of exercise a day-- that just doesn't seem sustainable, but to each his own.  You'll figure it out-- those brains haven't carried you this far for nothing!

SkinnyScientist
on 9/11/15 1:32 pm

HI ...I am one of those 2-3 hour people.  Sometimes it is more sustainable that others.  The trick is to listen to your body and give yourself rest days (sometimes several in a row). If you don't you can injure yourself and break down.

Also, just like you are doing now, I didnt START as a 2-3 hour excercise person. I started with just 20 mintues. Then 20 minutes got easy and it grew to 30, then 40. Then I found and exercise class (i.e. step aerobics) that I liked ..so then it became 50 minutes. Then my doctor told me that I needed resistance (I.e. weights) too. So I found a class that I liked (body pump) but they happen on the same day. So next thing you know, I got 100 minutes in ONE DAY! .

Then one likes the results they see, or they find something else fun that they like (I.e. skating, walking, rollerblading, or jogging) and one asks "Why not do this on my off day?" Then then walking, turns into intermittant jogging, which turns into jogging steadily at a time, and a few months later one can run a whole 5 k.  One keeps adding good tunes to their mp3 player and one's stamina increases. So the increased music selection and stamina permits 3 miles to turn into 6 miles which turns into 8 miles.

And the next thing one knows...one is exercising 2 hours a day and feels great!

But when tired and fatigued, I DO take rest days. And I let them BE rest days (i.e. the hardest thing I do is cook, take a bath, or yoga)

PS..on my 9 mile run (1 hour and 41 minutes...i am a slow runner) I saw 8 wild turkey and 5 deer. If I would have quit at 40 minutes in, I would have NEVER "run into" them!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

peachpie
on 9/11/15 3:20 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

This reads a lot like " if you give a mouse a cookie", just rename it, "if you get a scientist to exercise" :-)

I get it though. Maybe one day... Just not in the cards for my schedule right now. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

iloveravens
on 9/11/15 7:19 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Peachpie, I love this response.  

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

roxytrim
on 9/12/15 5:25 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

yawsa...so well said.  Stop buying into the "diet industry" won't give them another red cent. Right On!

Drvn2skcede
on 9/11/15 10:46 am

Great response Peachpie! And love your perspective on that saying!  It's so true!

I agree, I'm done with the struggling against the tides for the wrong reasons.  I'm in this process now for life, not looking good for the next event.

Referral (OWMC): January 12, 2015; Orientation: April 20, 2015; Intake Nurse: Jul 8, 2015; Beh/Nut: Oct 20, 2015. Beh2: Nov 23, 2015; Nut2: Dec 15, 2015; Pre-Sx Class: January 22, 2016; Surgeon Appt: February 8, 2016; Surgery: March 9, 2016.

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/15 11:58 am

I too really liked your response Peachpie ... and totally agree that when I decided to stop trying to force my body or recovery and just permitted myself to ENJOY every day ( in a healthy self loving way) exercise and eating right became so much easier and more doable . 

Its nice to hear about fellow forum members' post op successes!