Differing abilities to use food as comfort

Alison B.
on 9/11/15 10:41 am - ROSEVILLE, MN
VSG on 05/28/15

Thanks for all of your responses. I stopped seeing this person when our insurance coverage changed. Fortunately, there are many wonderful people out there to work with when needed, although it can be tough trying to find a good fit. What are some of the things you've learned to do to take the place of eating as a response to stress/frustration/fear/anger, etc.? 

Height: 5'10" HW: 264.4 Bariatric information session 1/21/15. Insurance approves VSG 4/30/15. Surgery date 5/28/15.

robinreinhardt
on 9/11/15 11:11 am

Alison,

I agree with you. Some people can eat so much and not gain weight. Makes me jealous. I was stressed out last week and ate chips and gained 2 pounds! Having the RNY tho has been a life saver. I'm so happy and wish I would have done it sooner. Good luck to you looks like your on the right path.

Robin

crystal M.
on 9/11/15 4:30 pm - Joliet, IL

I am actually one of those people that have trouble eating when I am stressed, sad, upset, mad...so on.  The last time I lost my job I was barely eating for about a week.  I just couldn't stomach it.  I have always been that way.  I tend to want to eat when I am bored.  I also am love to eat when I am content.  Like when I am cozy in front of the TV or reading.  It seems that I correlate food with happiness.  Not away to cheer me up or comfort me.  But what I want to do when I am happy.  If that makes sense

MsBatt
on 9/11/15 7:05 pm

When I was a child, those around would comfort me by giving me tasty things to eat. I feel sure that in my case at least it's a learned behaviour. I will say that having most of my stomach removed has made comfort eating less appealing to me, and I can *usually* resist the urge now.

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/15 9:43 am
RNY on 05/04/15

For me, it's always been a stress bell curve. During periods of "normal" heightened stress, I want to eat anything and everything. But when I'm exceptionally stressed out (and usually VERY busy at the same time), I forget to eat and have very little interest in food. (This happened before surgery too.) During the week of our new, ill-fated equipment installation at work, I worked 90 hours, spent a couple nights at work, and lost 7 lbs.