Differing abilities to use food as comfort

Alison B.
on 9/10/15 5:13 pm - ROSEVILLE, MN
VSG on 05/28/15

For a short time many years ago I worked with a therapist who specialized in eating disorders. She told me that most people, when upset or angry or sad or (fill in the blank), cannot eat when they are feeling overwhelmed by some very strong emotion. To do so would make them physically ill. I, on the other hand, had no problem eating during these times. I could go through a bag or box of something, usually very unhealthy, and only stopped when I felt too uncomfortably full to continue. I believe that using food as a method of trying to comfort ourselves or numb or stuff down negative or painful feelings is a learned behavior (and very difficult to unlearn). I think it's also interesting that some of us can stuff ourselves while others can't. Maybe there's a gene somewhere, in addition to learned behavior, that creates a susceptibility to this sort of destructive behavior. 

Height: 5'10" HW: 264.4 Bariatric information session 1/21/15. Insurance approves VSG 4/30/15. Surgery date 5/28/15.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 9/10/15 5:22 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I have BED (Binge Eating Disorder) -- and I definitely have used eating as comfort.  In fact, it's the "head work" that I've had to do to be successful thus far.  I had to find other coping mechanisms.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

goin4change
on 9/10/15 5:25 pm

I never could comprehend people who got depressed and could not eat.  I deal with a lot of depression and all I want to do is eat!  Just curious-- why did you stop going to the eating disorders counselor?  I am thinking about going to one but am afraid she will not understand compulsive overeating.

akanikkie
on 9/10/15 7:06 pm
VSG on 04/27/15

I wondered the same thing the first time I saw a Counselor who specialized in eating disorders.  In fact, she had me attend a group that she put together of people who had all types of eating disorders.  I remember thinking, "how in the world will these people understand me over-eating?" I learned that even though our addiction manifested itself in different ways and we coped differently, the underlying issues were very much the same.  My personal opinion is that seeing someone who specializes in eating disorders is the best way to go.  Wishing you the best!

HW: 448; SW: 376; CW: 321

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 9/10/15 5:41 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I'm a binge/emotional eater.  I'm going to see a new therapist next week who specializes in eating disorders.  Even though I'm almost 20 months post surgery, the demons in my head are still there.  Take it from me, kids.  Deal with this **** early in the process or you'll be fighting it down the road.

The ONLY time in my life when I didn't want to constantly eat was when I discovered IRC (you have to be really old to even know what this is) and became addicted to my computer.  I spent so much time online that I forgot about eating and dropped 20 lbs in record time.  My PCP couldn't believe it that was the reason.  Unfortunately it was short lived and the weight, along with a LOT more pounds, hijacked themselves to my body.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

jamrodriguez
on 9/10/15 10:53 pm

Hahahaha! IRC! I remember it fondly! Well, sort of. Lol. It never kept me from eating, though. Nothing ever has. 

Tracy D.
on 9/11/15 9:15 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm so glad to read that you're heading out to see someone who specializes in eating disorders!  I think it has made a big difference for me, that and going to OA on a regular basis.

Although there are days (like yesterday) when nothing I've learned is going to stop me from a horrible-terrible-no good-very bad food day.  It was epic :-( 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

White Dove
on 9/10/15 6:03 pm - Warren, OH

There was never a crisis that was not made better for me with a slice of frosted cake.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/15 5:06 am

Overeater's Anonymous is a free twelve-step support group whose topic is misusng food .  It really helps .. and its FREE .

There are also meetings online every three hours and topic related message groups were people write on recovering from overeating issues  because of say abuse or acohol/food cross addiction.

I find it  EXTREMELY helpful to read others shares and to be eble to write of my struggles to  a caring group of fellow sufferers who understand and respond.   I learn something more ( and am able to put down he excess food a tiny bit more  literally every single time I focus on my recovery 

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/15 5:14 am

But boy did I experiment TRYING To get comfort from that cake lol .

Excess food is like an abusive boyfriend ... you have to see the whole picure and be able to undertand what you're giving up by wasting your time with him to go through the painful withdawal and find somene who will increase the quality of your life .