Newbie & struggling

Cj7Coy
on 9/10/15 2:02 pm

I'm new.

My history:I just had surgery Aug 6, 2015 in Mexico by Dr Ungson. It was a revision from a VBG that I had 20 years ago which developed a fistula & reattached to my old stomach. I was suppose to get a DS but I had a stricture in the ring from my VBG. The stricture was almost completely closed, only getting a drop in so I couldn't get a sleeve. Dr Ungson gave me a GB pouch & a DS intestinal rerouting. I've lost 33 pounds.

My struggles: For the past month I have struggled to get much fuild in. I have been very dizzy & weak & know I was dehydrated. Just about a week ago I was finally able to get more fuild in & now can get about 48 oz liquid & 64 oz of liquid on good day. Finally I started to feel better.

But still I have days that I'm throwing up & can't get much liquid or food in. Two days ago I threw up most of the morning when I was only consuming small amounts of water. Finally it settled when I ate a small piece of cheese.  Yesterday I was fine & got in a good amount of water & protein shakes. Today I ate 1 piece of cheese (about 1/2 oz) & an hour later tried to get my protein shake in but after a few  ounces I began to throw up the protein drink up. I was able to eat a small amount of food about an hour later but really can't drink much & am still trying to nurse the rest of the protein shake down.

I just don't get why sometimes the food & liquid go down & other times I can't even get 20 oz of fuild down in a day. I'm struggling to get my protein & liquid down especially now that I'm also supposed to be getting my vitamins in as well. Is it normal to struggle so much about 4 to 5 weeks post op?

Any help & advise??

NewMe2016
on 9/10/15 4:26 pm

I can't help with this as I am still waiting for my surgery next month but I would also like to know if it is normal. I am scared of throwing up after a fresh surgery. It seems dangerous. I hope you find an answer and some relief.  I have read a few posts where people did have a hard time for at least the first month.

Surgery 10/12/15 20 lbs lost 108 more to go

Ladytazz
on 9/10/15 7:30 pm

I don't know if it's normal but maybe it's normal for you.

There is a wide range of what is normal after WLS.  Some have no issues at all and others have difficulty for a long time.  I kind of fell in the middle.  Some days were hard and other days I could almost forget I had WLS.  Almost.

All I can say is that it gets better.  It won't, or shouldn't, always be a chore to get in the food and liquids.  Just keep trying to do better each day then the day before.

I having thrown up since my first few weeks but I still have some days where I feel miserable after eating.  

Today at lunch I put down my fork in time.  By in time I mean that I am at the point where I know what is enough for me and what will be one bite too many.  Not that knowing that has stopped me but today it did.  I knew that the next bite would be the difference from me being comfortably full and miserably stuffed.  It really is down to one bite these days.  Today I made the right choice.  Some days I can't say that.

Most days I eat at home or bring my lunch to work and can portion out the correct amount but when I go out to eat I need to use my judgement on how much is enough and how much is too much.

BTW, I also have a RNY pouch and DS intestinal configuration, with a long (200cc) common channel.  There are a few of us hybrids around with a little of this surgery and a little of that surgery.  Not every surgery is cookie cutter and you just do the best you can with what you have.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Valerie G.
on 9/11/15 4:41 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You may need an IV to really plump up your level of hydration and then try to keep it going.  64oz is the minimum amount for the day, not something to work up to, and your body is now reacting to that.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/15 6:23 am

I like what Valerie said .  I too had a hard time getting down my fluids post op and when i told my surgeon he re-hospitalized me or a few days on the iv.  I really needed that to heal I think ... throwing up ( especially everything ) is not acceptable.  You have to learn to recognize when you've had enough too ... sneezing is my signal to immediately stop  ingesting. 

Trowing up just a LITTLE is a normal post op adjustment though .. you're learning to be satisfied with a lot less .  if thats all this is don't worry .   ((())) hugs it gets a LOT better a few weeks post op .  Keep walking too that helps things stay down ..