Feeling like I wanna cry!

Nikki_Thomas
on 9/7/15 2:33 pm
VSG on 09/03/15

5 days post op (vsg). Feel like getting 70 grams of protein in is torture. I feel like I'm force feeding myself all day. To get the required protein I'm drinking 2 shakes (11oz each) and it takes me 3 hours just to finish one. I feel like it's impossible to consume this much food and liquid right now. I still take my time eating because I don't think I have really learned when I'm hungry or when I'm full. I'm so terrified to stretch my stomach or since I haven't felt full I might have already. I really think I'm going fail. I just feel so depressed because all day long I'm drinking these shakes and I can't seem to focus on anything else because I want to heal correctly. I think I might regret my decision at this point. I know that will change but 5 days out I'm having a really hard time. 😢

HW:312 Pre-op Visit: 298 CW: 269  

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/7/15 2:36 pm

you are experiencing a very typical "buyer's remorse" ..

hopefully it will get better....  I did for me... HUGS...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Nikki_Thomas
on 9/7/15 2:52 pm
VSG on 09/03/15

Thank you! I appreciate it. Good to know I'm not alone. I just wish I could get a handle on this new stomach! I have no idea what hungry feels like or what full actually feels like because I am constantly taking small sips of protein shake or water all day long. I'm just scared I've already over down it. 😢

HW:312 Pre-op Visit: 298 CW: 269  

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/7/15 3:19 pm

you are in minority  if by day 5 post op you can drink 70 gr of proteins. Good for you. Keep doing it. cry if you have to.yell at the stupid shake...  lol..

I was doing that also... I was able to get enough proteins during my first week.. and I hated them... but I was drinking them...

staying hydrated needs to be your main focus. drinking at least 64 oz of liquids (counting proteins) is a mast... more if you can... slowly - one sip at a time...

it is not easy.. but - you are dedicated and you can do it - you know you can...

good luck and keep plugging along... 

BTW: warm tea - ginger tea - really helped to settle my guts when I got nauseated... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Leafy
on 9/10/15 8:39 pm

5 days out was my worst time, I was feeling so horrible, and kept reading the instructions over and over.   The day I had some cottage cheese was so wonderful, I was amazed at how much even that tiny bit of chewing  renewed my spirit.  Hang in there, it was all good after that.  I had a healthy taco tonite and no problems. I had my surgery RNY 3 months ago, down 30+ and feel SO GOOD.  So Thankful.  Do your best and you will be fine.  

MickeyDee
on 9/7/15 3:36 pm

Completely NORMAL!!  Congratulations on your successful step to The Bench!

I'm not familiar with the VSG myself, but you might find tha****ching for your High Level Alarm (HLA) will help in knowing when you've reached capacity.  I found that my nose runs when my pouch gets full, so when I get the sniffles, I quit eating.  Some folks sneeze, others belch.  Whatever you find your signal is, when you get it, quit eating.

Definitely make sure you stay hydrated;  there's nothing worse than falling over sideways, striking something hard on the way down, and winding up in the ER.  (BTDT)

Hang in there, Kid.

Chickenboob
on 9/7/15 7:15 pm - Rockland, Canada

I yawn! isn't it funny that we each have our own signals?

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

Neesie57
on 9/7/15 9:03 am, edited 9/7/15 9:04 am
VSG on 08/04/15

You may not actually feel hungry for a very long time.  When the stomach is cut, the area that makes the hunger hormone is removed.  The intestines will eventually take over, but it will be a while.  My daughter had the surgery 4 ½ years ago, and she still has no actual hunger pangs.  She says that she has only felt a small amount of true hunger 3 or 4 times.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

boudiceatx
on 9/7/15 4:36 pm

The fact that you can get that much protein 5 days post vsg is amazing.  I had very little protein the first week, because my priority was just getting enough fluids (without vomiting). I had purchased Isopure before surgery, but the thought of it made me want to vomit so I didn't end up drinking it.  All I was able to tolerate the first week was broth, popsicles, jello, and a slush from Sonic.

hollykim
on 9/7/15 4:55 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 7, 2015 at 2:33 PM Pacific Time, Nikki_Thomas wrote:

5 days post op (vsg). Feel like getting 70 grams of protein in is torture. I feel like I'm force feeding myself all day. To get the required protein I'm drinking 2 shakes (11oz each) and it takes me 3 hours just to finish one. I feel like it's impossible to consume this much food and liquid right now. I still take my time eating because I don't think I have really learned when I'm hungry or when I'm full. I'm so terrified to stretch my stomach or since I haven't felt full I might have already. I really think I'm going fail. I just feel so depressed because all day long I'm drinking these shakes and I can't seem to focus on anything else because I want to heal correctly. I think I might regret my decision at this point. I know that will change but 5 days out I'm having a really hard time. 😢

you can't stretch your sleeves with liquids, protein shakes are considered liquid. Keep sipping you are doing great.