Looking into SIPS for my daughter. HELP?

jamrodriguez
on 9/10/15 11:42 pm

I did extensive research for about 8 years before my surgery, ad well as consulted with 3 different surgeons. All sources agreed that malabsorpative procedures are really most necessary for patients who are either disabled in a way that impacts their mobility and ability to excersize, or that are extreme morbidly obese, as in over 50 BMI. Personally, I started my journey with a 50.4 BMI, and now 6 weeks after my surgery I'm down 67 lbs, down to a 41.7 BMI. I had a sleeve, because I knew I am active and mobile enough to be able to do the work physically that makes my tool work best. Why not consider RNY? It has such a longer track record. And it combines the restrictive and malabsorpative aspects. Personally I would feel most comfortable having a surgery performed when I know my surgeon has done it thousands of times before, and learned from other surgeons who performed that surgery thousands of times, etc.

No matter what, I hope the best for you and your daughter.

mljohns
on 9/10/15 6:45 pm
DS on 01/27/15

Hi,

Let me start my response by saying I had the SADI or SIPS on 1/27/15. It says DS in my profile because there isn't an option for SADI. I have lost nearly 95 lbs, gone from a 24/26 to a 10/12 and more importantly am no longer on an insulin pump or any kind of diabetic medication. My last A1C was at 5.4 (non-diabetic). I take no meds whatsoever,  except an insane amount of vitamins/supplements. At this point (and yes I know I'm a newbie and have a long way to go) I'm very happy with my decision.

I eat like a DS patient and take vitamins/supplements like a DS patient. Once I'm further out, I hope I will be able to cut back on some of the vitamins since I do absorb more than a DS patient. Since there are so few SADI folks, I rely on the sage advice from the DS vets on this forum and am grateful to have it for reference.

When I first started down the WLS path there were several SADI/SIPS patients on this site. They seem to be rather quiet in recent times. I don't know if it's because they're so successful and are busy living life, or if they been silenced by some of the unkind comments I have seen on this and other forums. Some have called the SADI insurance fraud or have said that only surgeons who aren't skilled enough to do the DS do the SADI. I can't speak to those claims since my insurance (Aetna) paid for the entire procedure and my surgeon does both the DS and the SADI.

So with all of that said, bottom line....I have no regrets, no complications. No adverse eating issues (except one unfortunate episode with a deviled egg). I am happy and currently weigh less than I ever did. I have not had one low blood sugar episode, or one high reading since the day of surgery. I imagine I would have had similar results if I had chosen the DS. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. As I said, I'm a newbie so I certainly don't know as much as the vets. But it has been a success for me, so far.  And I am determined to continue being successful. Maybe some day when I'm 10+ years out from surgery, the SADI/SIPS won't be considered a new untried procedure. Let's hope.

Lorrainecma
on 9/11/15 12:51 pm

Thank you. I am with you on the reasoning behind why no one is saying much about the surgery on the forum, and I get the reasoning behind some of the commenting, but I can remember when there was a time that ppl seemed to be just as freaked out about DS. If it were simply me, knowing the things that I know now, I would try to get her to shoot for DS, but she is not the most compliant pt therefore, I worry more about malnutrition for her with the regular DS. Yes, I realize that this could happen with any of the surgeries.
Honestly, I would like nothing better than for her to have the sleeve, but I am fairly certain that she needs the absorption restriction as well as the caloric restriction.
To me this seems like the best option between the "Real" DS and the sleeve. 

MsBatt
on 9/11/15 7:26 pm

There is also at least one SADI Facebook group.

If compliance is an issue for her, I would suggest she get the Sleeve and just see how that works out for her. If she does in fact need malabsorption, and decides she WANTS to lose the rest of her excess weight badly enough to become compliant, then it's fairly easy to add the Switch (or the SADI, if she so chooses) to an existing Sleeve.

In all truth, since the SADI doesn't have long-term data yet on vitamin absorbtion, I'd hesitate to advise anyone to get it unless they're prepared to supplement just like those with a traditional DS.

Lorrainecma
on 9/14/15 1:34 pm

Thank-you MsBatt, I have seen you on here for years, and you are always fair and wise with your comments. I respect your opinion, and I am listening. It really will come down to her decision, but I wanted to look around myself. I really want her to make the right choice, and I feel that she does needs the malabsorption portion. She has a BMI of 59, so it has become very important to finally take a step in the right direction. I dont want her to wait until she starts getting sick like I did.

Valerie G.
on 9/11/15 4:48 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's known as SADI, SIPS, or Loop DS, but know that it is NOT a real DS, and data is limited because it's only been done for a couple of years.  Scary enough, that surgeons are coming out of the woodwork to do some kind of version of this procedure that have never done a DS before.  There is no standard procedure for this, and the surgeons are putting their own spin of variation on it, so I'm not sure how long before any consistent data will be available.  That part concerns me, for if there is any merit to be considered for this procedure, these variations pose a significant delay.

This is an experimental procedure that someone in the billing dept has figured out how to get paid by insurance by filing for two different unrelated to wls procedures, and not calling it by what it is.  Be aware that if you are trying to get it covered by insurance and they get smart to what is happening, that you can be held responsible for payment.  

If it were my own child, though, I would be looking at something with a standing success record.  The DS has been around since 1988 and still has the best statistics for long-term weight loss and lowest regain.  Health issues are mostly regulated by the patient themselves on educating themself and being vigilant to stay healthy.  If your daughter is young, she may not be mature enough to take something like this on.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Pianolover
on 9/11/15 12:17 pm

I have the SADI/SIPS or whatever we're calling it....we're here and there are a few of us who lurk around the DS board. I agree with mljohns who posted above...no regrets with my choice. I've lost 110 pounds in the 6 months since my surgery. message me if you have more specific questions :)

HW: 291 --- SW (3/10/15): 264 --- CW (12/31/15) 153

Lorrainecma
on 9/11/15 12:53 pm

Thanks!!! And.... CONGRATS!!! That is a fantastic weight loss so far!!! No regrets speaks volumes as well!!!