New here!

dmb1024
on 9/9/15 10:52 am
RNY on 04/11/16

Hi All,

I am very new to everything. I have made the decision to have WLS and just started my per-surgery diet in August. I need to have weight checks for 6 months, so I am just at the beginning of my journey! My first appointment with my surgeon is next week and I am a little nervous! What should I expect at this first Doctor appointment? When does your surgery date get set, or is that a long way from now?

Thanks in advance!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/9/15 11:45 am
RNY on 08/05/19

At your first appointment, you'll usually review your medical history with your doctor, get a list of things you need to do before surgery (different for each doctor, but might include things like a sleep study, blood work, etc.), and discuss which surgery would be best for you.

Getting a surgery date usually happens very late in the process. First you need to cover all of the requirements and your weight checks, then everything is submitted to insurance for approval. Once insurance gives the go-ahead, then your doctor can set a date for surgery, and most folks seem to get a date that's between 2 and 4 weeks out.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

peachpie
on 9/9/15 11:45 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Every program is different. I imagine your surgery date won't be set until you are near done the 6 months. first appointment went over the types of surgeries, pro's cons and medical history. 

dmb1024
on 9/9/15 12:04 pm
RNY on 04/11/16

Very informative, thanks a lot!