This one hits home for me.... Hypoglycemia After Weight Loss Surgery

Kathy S.
on 9/9/15 8:54 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hypoglycemia After Weight Loss Surgery

Hypoglycemia is a term used to describe low blood sugar levels. Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar that typically occurs when meals are skipped, delayed or contain too much sugar or too many easy to digest carbohydrates. Preventing a low blood sugar is always preferable to trying to manage and treat. ... Read Full Story

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Willie H.
on 9/9/15 9:10 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Wow! Did this article hit Home! Exactly what I have been experiencing. Will have to buy some glucose tablets and start monitoring my blood sugar. Once I cut out the simple carbs it has helped me a lot. Also keeping protein bars of nuts and cranberry seemed to have helped-just have to be careful of the sugar in the dried fruit. It especially occurs when I do something strenuous in heat such as clean the garage or even when playing golf, so I have to make sure I eat some light protein every few hours. Staying away from sugar, simple carbs and eating every few hours is the key.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/9/15 1:39 pm - OH

Which surgery did you have (or are you having)?  If you are having RNY, you do not want to use glucose tablets!

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Willie H.
on 9/10/15 9:15 am
VSG on 08/26/14

I has the Gastric Sleeve. Why are Glucose Tablets bad for other WLS's??

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/11/15 10:03 am - OH

Because of their intestinal bypass and the lack of a pyloric valve, RNYers can become very ill (dumping syndrome) when too much sugar gets into the lower intestine without being processed by the now-bypassed upper intestine. Taking sugar tablets may raise the blood sugar but will likely cause a huge dumping episode (which is a horrible experience).

This only applies to RNYers; band and sleeve folks don't have any intestinal bypass and DSers still have the pyloric valve which controls the release of food into the intestine. Unfortunately, RNYers experience reactive hypoglycemia (and regular hypoglycemia) more frequently than those with otehr WLS types.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

SkinnyBonz38
on 9/9/15 9:30 am

This is THE mostly perfect and timely article I have seen on OH! (That chocolate peanut butter shake was another good one.) Since I have been reducing my eating habits I seem to be becoming woozy and dizzy and a bit shakey more frequently. One member posted his concerns about this topic and another member posted her unwelcomed erroneous response. It's interesting because he has already had surgery and I have not. So, I am NOT looking forward to being dizzy even after having surgery with this same problem. But alas I am taking the steps to reduce this awful problem. Exercise makes things worst so I try to workout in ten minute increments and this seems to work. All for health and weight loss!

Kathy S.
on 9/9/15 10:21 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi SkinnyBonz,

If you have not done so, be sure and talk to your surgeon and let them run some blood work.  For me, it didn't hit me until years later.   I was grocery shopping and felt so weird.  The next thing I knew I was sitting in a chair at the pharmacy department eating chocolate chips out of a bag.  Spoke with my surgeon and he told me it may be low sugar.  Now that I knew the feeling I would check it and mine was in the low 30's.  

I carry stuff with me at all times.  Try to not let this prevent you from working out. I bike 10 miles a day, work out with weights, and Zumba and it doesn't bother me.  Work with your surgeon and you can get a plan in place.

Good Luck!

SkinnyBonz38
on 9/12/15 1:46 pm

Thank you so much Kathy S. for your timely helpful advice! I have been quite discouraged lately because here I have it in my head to make helpful choices and I feel as if it's back firing. And when the headline hit  hypoglycemia AFTER wls. I'm like come on NOOO! I feel miserable now this can't also happen after WLS?! What's a girl to do about feeling so dizzy and woozy then.

Now, I will eat an artificial food item and I feel better, after the surgery I will be very reluctant to eat an artificial food because I will have less to work with. I'm very torn. I will take your advice and speak with the doctor herself. I emailed the NUT but she was not helpful, however I do see her on Tuesday the 15th.

Kathy S. would you kindly share with me your eating plan throughout the day and some of the snacks you carry with you,please? 

Kathy S.
on 9/12/15 6:51 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Remember I am 11 years out and what I eat depends on how much I am working out.  Lately I have been hitting the gym hard.  I bike 10 miles, drink a protein drink.  A few hours later I scramble 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites. Adding fresh cut up tomatoes and or salsa.  A few hours later I drink another protein drink.  One of my favorite lunches is greens, chicken breast and I make a dressing with balsamic vinegar, mustard and a couple drops of stevia for some sweetness.  

Snacks, I love LF cottage cheese, no fat Fage yogurt with fresh fruit.  Grilled veggies from the night before on greens.  Seasoning, and a little olive oil.  I love grilled fish and shrimp  I got one of those cast iron skillets and the flavor is awesome...

I finish the day with weights and something cardio like Zumba.  For me, I carry some protein powder in a zip lock bag and add 8 ounces of water and drink on the way home.  I check my food for the day and if I need to I drink 1% milk for my bones

PM me if you have any other questions

SkinnyBonz38
on 9/13/15 8:12 am

Why thank you! I did not notice your surgery was so long ago, you remind me of my older sister who also works out EVERYDAY with weights and THEN does cardio. LOL! Your eating plan looks very doable. But I think I may have to retrain my body, because she wants artificial foods and will get headachey and lightheaded and confused if I don't get her what she wants. It sounds silly but I think I've spent so many years eating junk food, my body is addicted even though my mind is no longer accepting junk food. I'm trying to ween her from the junk but she is putting up a difficult but not impossible battle. I expected to be light headed but not confused or shakey and so it's proving more difficult than I imgained. A big breakfast with chicken sausage and eggs and a slice of bread and coffee seems to work. Later I add fewer lighter meals as the day draws on.  Thanks a bunch!