Does a Waist Trainer help firm up " flabby" extra skin/ empty fat cells ?

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/15 11:29 am

Has anyone experimented with a " waist trainer "  post weight loss ? ( its a stretchy big band that consricts you and makes you sweat in the area ? ) 

Jessica Aba seemed to have great success with hers after two pregnancies .. and the Kardashians supposedly use them too ..I've seen sefies  with one on in the gym .  

I personally hate the way they FEEL so I'd like to know if they work at all for US before investing the time and energy... thanks !

Maria27
on 9/7/15 12:09 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

CerealKiller Kat71
on 9/7/15 12:34 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I bought a waist trainer because I currently have a very large hernia that I am awaiting surgery on.  It feels really good to have everything held in -- but also keep in mind that I am nearly at my goal weight -- so I am not expecting it to do the job it would have had to do at 350 lbs.  Also, I naturally have a small waist -- so in some ways it really doesn't do much in that respect.  When on, it brings my waist from 28" down to about 26.5" and oddly, my waist measures about 27" for a day or so after wearing it for a while.  It doesn't last long term, however, and it doesn't help my extra skin any.  

HTH.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/15 3:26 pm

Thanks !  spandex or not .. they feel like a CORSET to me lol.  But corsets did give generations of women tiny waists .. ( misplaced organs and fainting too)   I guess I'd rather be flabby than on the fainting couch lol

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/7/15 3:55 pm - OH

No, of course it doesn't!  If things like that and ANY effect on fat cells or excess skin, the Bariatric surgeons and plastic surgeons would be out of business.  All it does is the same thing the old fashioned boned corsets did: constrict your abdomen.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

hollykim
on 9/7/15 5:00 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 7, 2015 at 11:29 AM Pacific Time, meeow3 wrote:

Has anyone experimented with a " waist trainer "  post weight loss ? ( its a stretchy big band that consricts you and makes you sweat in the area ? ) 

Jessica Aba seemed to have great success with hers after two pregnancies .. and the Kardashians supposedly use them too ..I've seen sefies  with one on in the gym .  

I personally hate the way they FEEL so I'd like to know if they work at all for US before investing the time and energy... thanks !

no they don't. Jessica alba has normal skin, not skin that has neen stretched past its ability, like morbidly obese left over skin. Plastics is all that works.

boxtop2006
on 9/8/15 3:56 pm
RNY on 03/24/15

I wear a corset but it isn't to do anything with my saggy skin it is more so I don't jiggle while I walk.  When I first had surgery I did a road trip from AZ to WI, when I first started out every single bump or rough part of the road would hurt so I bought a pair of spanx (SP) just to help hold me in, it worked. I wasn't in pain going over bumps, I guess it was kinda like when you first have surgery and you hold a pillow to your stomach. Well, I went from that to the corset to hold me in a little.  I don't like the feel of not having something hold me in, Now I also don't wear them real tight, just a little pressure is all I need, for what I am using it for.  Do I think it would help with the excess skin? No....  Good Luck though!

Melissa

Consult: 235 Surgery: 209 Current: 158.5 Goal: 140     

Atlanta_Forever
on 9/8/15 5:57 pm
VSG on 03/17/14

The answer is no.

gypsyjenny
on 4/27/18 7:15 am

Waist trainers actually do help to prevent saggy skin after pregnancy especially. I've personally seen it work. Before waist trainers were a thing, it's a well known practice within Hispanic communities to wear a waist trainer after giving birth to prevent sagging skin. My grandmother always tells the pregnant women in our family to remember to wear one and they all have beautiful figures even after the loss.