Low Ferritin without anemia and peripheral neuropathy

S T.
on 9/7/15 4:15 am

I recently found out after years of debilitating fatigue that I have a ferritin level of 4.  Recently started a course of iron infusions.  I also was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy around the same time the terrible fatigue started.  This was not addressed because the lower limit according to the labs is 10 and apparently the medical community doesn't know if you are below 40 you are deficient.  I just wondered if there were others out there with low ferritin and peripheral neuropathy?  I am 13 years post gastric bypass.  I suspect the two are related but I cannot prove it by the medical community.  Thanks for answering in advance.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/6/15 11:00 pm, edited 9/6/15 11:14 pm

Low iron/ferritin may not be the reason for peripheral neuropathy, but low B1, B12 or high B6 may cause that. 

A lot of us are aware that ferritin below 50 may cause some symptoms like fatigue, RLS; and ferritin below 30 that symtoms may become real big deal. 

There are doctors that are aware of that. Finding one can be a chore.. What you need is to find hematologist who treats other WLS patients. 

I had to fight for first infusion when my ferritin dropped to 9-10.. But now - if I get below 30 my hema orders infusion.  My ferritin can drop for no obvious reason from 100 to below 30 in a matter of a few months..(i no longer menstruate so there is no apparent blood loss) and when it gets below 30 - my doc does not want to risk me getting really low... 

I tried all Oral irons, and that does not work well for me.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

S T.
on 9/7/15 6:04 am
TanyaRN
on 9/7/15 12:11 pm - Palm Bay, FL

I am 11 1/2 years post RNY and recent ferritin level was 12. I have been battling fatigue my whole life which never improved after the huge weight loss. Looking back at old labs, ferritin levels of 55 prior to surgery and only other levels done since surgery was 33-35 many years back. Also recent RBC 3.6, h/h 10/35 BEFORE start of period.  

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/7/15 1:47 pm

you need iron infusions... hope you find a good hema...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

trumanorme
on 9/8/15 12:01 pm - KS

I also had extreme fatigue and my doctors kept telling me it was all in my head. I had to use a wheelchair at times! That was not in my head. I had to go to the Mayo clinic to get the proper help, and they found my ferritin level around 4. My previous other blood test said iron was in the OK range, so I was getting no proper help. Mayo doctors started infusions right away, and continued for several months, until levels would stay where they needed to be on their own, and now they are checked and adjusted every 3-4 months. It makes a world of differences with energy, and a lot less headaches on a daily basis. I was also 3 years out after DS surgery.