3 days so far! No soda no candy no snacks.

DawnsPlusSizeWorld
on 9/4/15 1:38 pm

So far I think I have done pretty good. No soda in 3 day as of today and no sweet.

Day before yesterday. I went wild on the popcorn. But have done great since then.

Yesterday I drank 2 cans of "X2 Performance" All natural Energyu TEA Green Teas Blend. Strawberry-kiwi.

Calories 100 for a 1 full can serving size. I have 2 cans and Sodium was 10mg Total carb 24g sugar 24g. Everything else was at a zero. 

But in a little window kind of label it shows Natural Caffeine from green tea 80 mg per container.

after that it was all sparkling water Clear American Kiwi strawberry. 1 liter sized bottle lasted me late until then night. 

0 everything per serving. Serving size was 8oz. 4 servings per bottle. 

Today I had 1 full bottle of the water but white grape but that was since 10 a.m. Now on to my second bottle. And I also had a Del Monte 6oz cup of watermelon chunks. And a cup of Cottage Cheese. But I ate 2 servings of the cottage cheese. Which was 1 full cup not a half cup and 160 calories 40 calories from fat. total fat for 1/2 cup was 2.5g 4% Saturated fat 1.5g 7% Trans fat 0g 0% cholesterol 15mg 4% Sodium 420mg 17% Total carb was 5g 2% Dietary fiber 0g 0%  sugars 4g protein 11g. Vitamin a 2% calcium 15%. 

I think I did pretty well so far today. But I'm not to sore since I don't know much about read food labels.

But there small containers and small servings. 

HKT53
on 9/4/15 2:09 pm - Toronto, Canada

You say you don't know much about reading labels. From what I see, you are making progress in reading labels by leaps and bounds. So if you could do 3 days without soda, great job btw, forget about every having soda again even if it is zero coals. Note, after surgery no carbonated drinks of any kind so that also means the sparkling water. But that is just something to file away and think about as you go along. What I see is quite a bit of sodium. So when you practice reading labels and picking up foods....look for sodium reduced foods. Look for things that have less than 10 grams of sugar. Just makes it easier for you. Look for more protein. Eat meats first and vegetables next until you are satisfied, then just two tablespoons of mashed potatoes or 1/2 baked potatoe or no more than 12 French fries. Try not to drink during your meal. We tend to drink and pack the food down and feel we want more. Drink 1/2 hr after your meal and lots of flavoured water. Some diets out there tell you to drink water before you sit down to eat but rally never made much impact on me. But really I think you are making a great effort. Look for high counts of protein, preferably double digits and low counts of sugar and sodium, preferably single digits. I would love you to keep logging your food. Others on the forum will help too. No judgements here. I'm not a dietician, just helping you with my experience with 100s of diets and two WLS in forty one years. Big hugs keep it up.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

Karen M.
on 9/4/15 6:37 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Expert.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/4/15 2:37 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

200 calories and 48 carbs is unnecessary and easy to cut out.

Are you looking into WLS? Or trying to lose weight without? If you're headed towards surgery, you'll want to push protein and skip the fruit.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/15 7:01 pm

Congrats Dawn!!!

lking
on 9/5/15 12:35 am, edited 9/5/15 1:41 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

You are off to a good start!  I agree with HTK53...tone down the sodium, the fruits, and get off the carbonated drinks altogether.  My dietitian says no more than 1200 grams of sodium a day and no more than 1 serving (1/2 cup) of fruit daily...not all fruits are allowed though.  

You need a minimum of 64oz of water everyday.  Water can be boring and non-satifying.  For this reason I turned to Crystal Light Liquid to make my daily water intake doable.  I now don't have any problem with getting far more than 64oz of water in daily.

You should step away from the popcorn. Instead, turn to fresh veggies with FF ranch dressing as a dip.

Keep up the good work!

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

MsBatt
on 9/5/15 12:36 pm

"Fat free" is never a good idea. When they take the fat out, they have tp replace it with something, and that something is usually SUGAR. Fat is our friend. The human body actually REQUIRES 30-40 grams of fat every day for proper brain function.

Grim_Traveller
on 9/5/15 12:46 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

And, fat is delicious. I get between 75 and 100 grams of fat per day. And I have a nice shiny coat.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

DawnsPlusSizeWorld
on 9/5/15 12:02 pm

I mostly grab small items. The cottage cheese was in the fridge section at my kwik trip store. And the label reading only happened at home. If I stand to long in one place my sister will walk up to me and ask me what I'm doing. And if I tell here "Well I'm reading labels on the food to find out whats healthy for me." She would just say read them at home hurry up the kids are in the car.

She dose that when we go to wal-mart shopping I will have a cart with a kid in it and we do are shopping and then when she and er boyfriend are done. She finds me and says hurry up Abby's in the car with Kevin we need to hurry its hot out side.

Its like why didn't they just wait in the store.Well he put the stuff in the car and just stayed out there.

So then I have to hurry up and be done when there done.

So the food reading labels mostly happens at home. But with a few tips I have already gotten from this post I will write them down in my notepad and keep them on hand for my next shopping trip.

So if there's any more tips out there do not hesitate to post them here. Please.

MsBatt
on 9/5/15 12:49 pm

If you truly want to eat healthy, you've got to COOK. The healthiest foods you're going to find are amilan flesh and animal products, like eggs and dairy.

Here's a recipe for you: Hunk o' Critter. Start with a large hunk of the critter of your choice. It can be a beef roast, a pork lion, a whole chicken, whatever. Season it with salt and pepper and whatever seasons you like on that sort of meat. Put it in a crock pot (if you don't have a crock pot, use a covered roasting pan and cook it in the oven overnight, at about 250 degrees) and smother it with chopped onions. I mean, really pack in the onions! DO NOT ADD ANY LIQUID---the juice from the meat and the onions will provide all the moisture you need. Put a stick of butter on top, cover, and cook on low about 8 hours. Delicious, high in protein, and virtually NO carbs. The amount of fat will depend on your piece of critter, but you really don't need to worry about the fat in this dish.

Any kind of cheese is good for you. Avoid fruit---it's FULL of sugar. When it comes to veggies, go with green leafies and avoid roots, like potatoes and carrots. (Carrots and green peas have a LOT of sugar in them!) Avoid drinking anything with calories. You need to drink a minimum of 64 ounces of water every single day, just for good health.

Can you not shop without your sister? Do you depend on her for transportation? Maybe she could drop you at the store and you could shop while she runs errands or something. Reading labels needs to happen before you buy stuff.