Finally found something my husband won't support me in

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/30/15 11:27 am, edited 8/30/15 11:28 am - OH

Ok. Your original post just talked about the initial trial session. I missed that you had already signed the contract.  

If you locked yourself into a contract after the initial session, you already made the decision, so use the trainer to your best benefit.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Bonroxie19
on 8/28/15 1:43 pm

hi there,

i have worked with a trainer for 1.6 months.  one year before surgery and now 6.5 after.  it is a great decision for me.  I am so much stronger and feel in great shape because of my trainer.  i work with him up to 4 times a week and know that he has been and will continue to be a part of my journey.

Bonnie RNY 2/11/15 by Dr. Takahaski

5'3" SW 230 pounds, GW per Dr. Takahaski 150 pounds, CW 132 pounds (10/1/17)

BMI 19% Bod Pod test 1/29/17 13.1 mile half marathon, 1 hour 59 mins (8/21/2017)

White Dove
on 8/28/15 2:13 pm - Warren, OH

When you are walking around looking like a swimsuit model at the beach next summer your husband will be so proud. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/15 2:50 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Haha thanks!

Hislady
on 8/28/15 4:45 pm - Vancouver, WA

In took strength training classes thru community ed years ago sometimes you can still find it available or some of the schools open their gyms to the public for use by the community. Just some other options for those who can't afford an actual personal trainer.

AnImperfectAngel
on 8/28/15 7:13 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

Each of us is on a kind of holy and very personal journey through this experience and I think that the most important thing we can do is to honor ourselves. Understanding that we are worth it and deserve to do the things that we need to do to take care for ourselves is key. Those choices will be different for everyone, so whether its having a weekly massage, getting your nails done or having a personal trainer, you are worth it! Many of us here have never made ourselves a priority but right now you are the priority and you deserve to be kind to yourself and do what you need to do in order to get well. 

Rhiannon

High W: 265 Surgery W: 208 Current W: 160 Goal W: 135

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/15 9:21 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Thank you, I needed that!

Modest_Phoenix
on 8/28/15 7:38 pm

I wouldn't lie in any fashion to a partner, about so big of an expense, it's just not a good thing to do.  Consider it an investment and be sure to use the membership because if you don't it's throwing money away and it gives your partner a change to say "I told you so."  You might want to dig deeper to find out why he is not supportive of this path for you. Does he know of a pattern in your personal history when you start something but don't follow through?  Is his concern being able to make ends meet every month?  Is he a bit jealous?  Does he want to spend more time with you?  His reasons are probably valid and his concerns might be alleviated if you find out exactly what they are and talk them through.    

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/15 9:24 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Actually, I tend to be the one who follows through. He's the one who spent $500 on a recumbent exercise bike that he never uses, but of course he gets pissed whenever I bring that up. We're DINKs who are spending less money than ever before now that we're not eating out much and have dropped a bunch of medications each. Honestly, he's just a cheapskate, but I love him anyway.  

Shel25
on 8/29/15 12:02 am, edited 8/29/15 12:03 am

It will be ok.  You are already into the contract....now just make use of it.  Over the years my husband and I have developed a bit of a don't ask don't tell policy and are able to maintain that even with joint accounts. At the end of the day, we trust each other and don't nit pick individual decisions. 

From all of your comments, it sounds like you have the funds so you haven't done something to cause you both financial ruin. Just consider this practice in the real world of not agreeing on everything. 

But, of course I support you because I have been doing private yoga for a couple of months.  I'm pretty thrifty in general so this wasn't done lightly.  But, I have thought nothing of signing my only child up for bazillions of private lessons of this and that over the last decade.  This time I am investing in me. 

I like to think of my yoga as rehab and it sounds like you are self directing your own rehab as well.  Enjoy! 

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!