Taste buds changing

Michele7
on 8/27/15 1:34 pm

So I had my gastric sleeve yesterday  and everything tastes gross. Jello and broth really tastes different. Is this wierd? Will I get back my old taste buds. 

Valerie G.
on 8/27/15 2:31 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm afraid it could be several months.  Concentrate on what your body needs for now. Don't try to get anything more from food than that.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Mathew M.
on 8/27/15 4:03 pm

some of the taste changes can be a good thing.  I never thought it would be  possible, but I love my vegetables now.  Especially zucchini and other squashes.  I have to use my willpower to eat my protein first if I have zucchini on my plate or I'll fill up on the veggies and not leave enough room for the protein.

Give yourself some time.  Your body just went through a MAJOR change...it will take time to adjust.

Congrats on taking these first steps.

M

49 years old, male.

5'11", HW:306, SW:284, CW:194.5, Goal:195lbs.VSG 6/19/15, Dr. Scott Cunneen at Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles.

mellen613
on 8/27/15 5:52 pm

You are probably feeling the after effects of the meds they pumped into during surgery.  Might be a couple of days before you are clear of the after effects.  

NYMom222
on 8/27/15 7:24 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

It took about 6 months for things to taste normal again for me. It is not that they tasted horrible just kind of tasted like nothing... not good, not bad.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

NikkyBeauty
on 8/28/15 12:30 am - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Yes it's very normal! I hated EVERYTHING!! For the first few months! Yes your taste buds come back all I have to say is enjoy and take full advantage of not liking anything right now this is the easy part, focus on your water, protein and vitamin supplements! Congratulations and welcome to the other side!

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

lootdog
on 8/28/15 1:14 am

i think your taste buds actually are oversensitive and smell is keener for some reason.smelling chicken broth made me sick after surgery but now 5 months later the taste buds and sense of smell are normal again,except i cant stand tuna anymore.