Can't drink protein shakes

rocky513
on 8/26/15 4:22 pm - WI

On the flip-side of Kathy's "cold shakes" post.  I found that shakes were easier to get down mixed in coffee or SF hot cocoa.  Just make sure you mix the protein powder with a little lukewarm water to make a paste before you add the hot liquid or you will end up with a curdled, clumpy mess!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

kathkeb
on 8/26/15 5:09 pm

Yes, Rocky is right for the shakes I made myself.

i never tried to heat up a ready made shake, but I often made warm cocoa out of the chocolate powder.

i actually would mix a little coffee, warm water and Unjury chocolate powder to make a mocha.

the coffee helped with the smell and taste.

Kath

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/15 9:39 am

Agreed !  I used issopure banana cream instead of milk in my coffee and chai tea for a while .  You'll find a way to drink those things lol  hugs ((()))  Keep your eyes on the prize ... you're almost there 

jamrodriguez
on 8/26/15 10:28 pm

I have seen some blogs where patients drank powdered milk as a substitute for protein shakes. However, dairy is high in sugar and you will need to drink way too much to get enough protein after surgery. I agree with previous posters about trying samples and trying mixing with different flavors and substances. I really enjoy making a "Frappuccino" with my protein and some instant coffee and almond milk and ice. Also try some sugar free flavor syrups to give your shakes different flavors. 

Valerie G.
on 8/27/15 4:28 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I cannot tolerate whey protein shakes at all.  I found that egg protein shakes go down much easier, no horrible smell or aftertaste, and no gas and bloating afterwards.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Mary Gee
on 8/27/15 3:29 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

At first,  I was making my shakes in a blender and they got super foamy  UGH!  Now I use a shaker bottle and I get thick shakes that are not foamy   Much, much better    I bought samples through nashuanutrition and netrition     I also use sugar free syrups, PB2 and coffee to vary the flavors

You just have to commit to finding a solution   Try different samples and/or contact your doctor's office   

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

LeslieT
on 8/29/15 7:58 am - London, Canada
RNY on 05/22/15

Speak to your surgeon's office. Some allow patients to go on a very low calorie vegetable and chicken diet pre-op if there are shake issues.

Highest: 250 - 30 pounds lost pre-op - Surgery Weight: 220 Current: 156 Goal: 145