Hi, my name is Willie and I'm a food addict

iloveravens
on 8/26/15 6:59 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Hi Willie, I'm Lanie and I'm a food addict.  I come from a long line of food addicts.  

- Not feeling well?  Eat something!

- You did something great!  Let's eat!

- Feeling sad?  Let's go get ice cream!

- Bored?  Let's go get something to eat!

- Angry? Oh you probably just need to eat something!

You get the gist.  Re-training myself to not reward/resort/revert to food is a daily effort.  Thanks for the post and congrats on your 1 year!

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

nurserobin
on 8/26/15 8:42 am

Hello Willie! I am Robin and I am a food addict! I understand everything that you have said. I was gliding along enjoying the never being hungry and being able to control the head hunger and then bam at about 7 months out, hunger came back and head hunger got worse! I started cheating on weekends because of birthday and anniversary parties and holidays. I did not gain but I stalled. I have taken back control and am losing again. But I realized that I have to be in control the rest of my life. I have to make that effort to just say NO!

Thank you for your post!

Willie H.
on 8/26/15 10:21 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Thank YOU! 142 lbs lost!?? I would say you have dome very well. Congrats!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

mmb2003
on 8/26/15 12:59 pm

Thank you for sharing and for your honesty!  

--Meg

VSG 8/11/15 HW: 272.5 PreOp: -17.5 M1: -20.8 M2: -15.0 TWL: -55.1 CW: 217.4

1st Goal: 225 9/27/15 2nd Goal: 200 3rd Goal: 170

Mathew M.
on 8/27/15 4:14 pm

Hi Willie,

Congrats on your amazing work so far.  I too am a food addict.  I  suspect that most of us here are as well.  It is a very tricky addiction because, unlike alcohol, drugs, or gambling, we MUST still partake of our addiction every single day.  I've never bee good with moderation...it would almost be easier if I could just have no food rather than having to walk that fine line day in and day out. 

I personally have started setting my own definitions for abstinence/sobriety.  For me it is evolving, but so far I have:

1. No eating after 7pm. 

2. No processed sugar foods or drinks.  I allow some natural sugar in fruits, but stick to the lower carb options like strawberries or melon.

3. No wheat products.  I know this sounds a bit extreme, but in the process of my pre-surgery and post-surgery diet, I have discovered that I am actually allergic.  I used to have symptoms regularly that I just thought were part of being me, and since I've cut out wheat, they have completely gone away (migraine headaches, constant heart-burn, excessive sweating). 

So far I have remained true to my "sobriety" rules for 3 months. 

The mind-set has helped me to keep a handle on my very real and potentially very dangerous food addiction.

Best to you man!!!

49 years old, male.

5'11", HW:306, SW:284, CW:194.5, Goal:195lbs.VSG 6/19/15, Dr. Scott Cunneen at Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles.

Willie H.
on 8/28/15 9:34 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Thanks. I starting to agree with you about Wheat. The book "Wheat Belly/Grain Brain" helps us to understand why some are allergic to Wheat. I'm just reading it so I need to be more enlightened. I'm sure the vets on here can give more insight regarding that. My nutritionist says we have to eat grains as they did in Biblical times. Today they are so far away from that!!! But thanks. We all have a tough, yet enjoyable and life-saving journey ahead of us! Good mind-set!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

alma_olson
on 8/29/15 4:29 pm
RNY on 08/18/15

Hi Willie-My name is Alma, and I am a food addict.  10 days post-op and hoping i can make the permanent changes need to make this work. to you on that awesome 97 lb loss.

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/15 3:43 pm

Hi Willie !  I really liked what you wrote .  Congrats on almost 100 lbs weight lost !   You'll get to goal weight ... it doesn't happen overnight.  The best thing you sound like you have a real understanding of what you have o do not to gain it back .  (((())))